We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pubs and children

Which Kinsale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ladyboy40
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
pubs and children

hi,

I am staying in kinsale on 15/16 oct and i would like to know if children are allowed in pubs at nightime. are there laws on this in ireland. I would dearly love to sit as a family of four on the 15th to watch the ROI world cup match and also to venture round traditional irish pubs. will this be poss with my children (13,10).

can anyone supply things to do to pass the night away in kinsale as a family. we do enjoy pubs/restuarants/music etc.

thanks in advance.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pubs and children

Pubs will allow children in to watch the match.

Pubs will allow children in until a certain point. Most pubs these days welcome children with open arms(nearly) on account of selling food. With the decline in pub culture in Ireland and the increase in take home licquor, pubs will do a lot to get people in those doors.

In saying that they will ask you to leave at a certain point. It dont think parents should ever be asked to leave with their children, I think parents should have been grown up enough to have taken their children home before the nighttime culture kicks in anyway.

I have witnessed to( any my own father ) staying drinking in pubs whilst chidlren run wild all over the place. Bean may know Driscolls in Corbally. Its still terrible for this.

Saying that, bringing them in to watch the ROI match will not be an issue. Imagine St Patricks day in Ireland. There are usually more kids in pubs than adults.

ladyboy40
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pubs and children

I understand what your saying here, but we are responsible parents and we just want to enjoy a couple of days in Kinsale and enjoying my visit will be hopefully taking my kids into pubs for meals/drinks/entertainment. What are the laws, are they relaxed in tourist type places. Can i go in for a pub meal and stay on in the pub until 10pm/11pm/midnight, while maybe enjoying some music???? On this point can anyone recommend any good pubs etc where this may be possible. All we are looking for is an enjoyable time. Please gimme some good pubs to visit..........thanks.

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pubs and children

As far as I am aware the law is that under 18s cant be in pubs after 9pm, even if they are with their parents. As the match doesnt start until 7.45pm it wont be over before 9pm. I would guess that you might get away with staying until the match was over, but dont think you will be able to stay until 11pm or midnight

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pubs and children

i have had several family members who have taken their children into pubs, in several different parts of the country, and in every one they were informed that they had to be out by 9:00....and of course music usually doesn't start until after that....

they were disappointed but understood as you can't take children into bars here at all....you can take them into restaurants that serve alcohol though....go figure....lol...

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pubs and children

It's 9 o'clock. That's the law. I think it's 10 p.m. during the summer months but definitely 9 when you are here. The vintners dont necessarily agree with the law but they could get into real trouble if they dont abide by it. Where are you staying?

ladyboy40
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: pubs and children

We are staying in the Blue Haven. Thanks for all you help, we are looking forward to the trip.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pubs and children

pubs will NOT allow children on the premises after 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. in the summer. Its the law. It doesn't matter if there is a match on or not - they must be out by 9 p.m.

8. Re: pubs and children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale