We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Clonakilty Food

phoenix, az
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Update on Clonakilty Food

Hello,

I'll be in Clonakilty for a week at the end of May--three adults, one child. Whenever I travel to a new place I plot of all the "things to do and eat" on Googlemaps, so I am in the middle of collecting all the information and was hoping to collect a bit more in terms of restaurants/pubs.

I promise I've done my best to read through the threads on food, but most of them are quite old,and it seems some places have disappeared or have reincarnated.

I did a lot of personal research, but when the restaurant doesn't have a website, I tend to shy away (not that having a website is an indicator of quality, I just like to see the menu and prices--personal idiosyncracy!)

I found, of course, Richy's, Gleeson's, Malthouse Granary, O'Keefe's, O'Donavan's and Deasy's; we are on vacation, but at those prices, we will probably only eat at one of those places once or twice. Not to mention, my 8-year-old isn't going to eat much on their menus and I hate to drop E20+ on a dish he'll pick at.

What options are there for low-key lunches/dinners that still allow for a local taste? Also, since the place we are renting has a kitchen, and we are close to the sea, are there local fishmongers of merit? What are the prices like? I know where I grew up on the coast in NJ, there were plenty of fishing co-ops that sold seafood direct from the boat for cheap. We are okay with good pub food (I hope that isn't an oxymoron); however, I am guessing that with a child in tow pubs would only be appropriate for lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Clonakilty Food

"With a child in tow" always ask for a child (half) portion in restaurants, that should save you quite a bit. Some restaurants of course do a kids menu anyway, if you don't mind the usual chicken nuggets and chips. Having your main meal at lunch time will also save you quite a bit. Around here an adult main course costs around E9.00.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Clonakilty Food

Take a quick look at some other places on Menupages and its list for Clonakilty:

menupages.ie/Cork/west_cork/clonakilty.aspx

and, a recent article on a visit to the west Cork town might be of interest:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224241556978.html

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Clonakilty Food

And, reviews of a few places here also:

http://tinyurl.com/cej885

- from this web site:

ireland-guide.com/places_to_eat_pub_food.html

Corfe Castle...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Clonakilty Food

Try The Courtyard in the middle of town - it is a pub by night but a really friendly cafe/bistro in the daytime. They have a set menu and also daily specials, and the best cappucino I have ever tasted. There is usually a complete mix of people - mums and kids, families, ladies lunching, you name it!

5. Re: Update on Clonakilty Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 pm, January 14, 2017
6. Re: Update on Clonakilty Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Clonakilty