We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from Clonakilty

2 posts
Save Topic
Excursions from Clonakilty

Hello all,

I'll be in Clonakilty the 2nd week of June with family and friends. I would appreciate having suggestions as to excursions from there to nearby interesting sights. We'll have a total of 3 full days in which to do them. We will have a car.

Thanks for any insight that you might be able to offer.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,865 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions from Clonakilty

Just a few suggestion which you can spread out over the 3 days:

Inchydoney Beach just outside Clonakilty

The drive from Rosscarbery to Glandore (visit near Drombeg stone circle)

Castletownshend with lunch/dinner in Mary Ann's (bottom of the hill on your right coming down, the stained glass windows in the church are by Harry Clarke and well worth seeing, a drive further along the coast to Toe Head is lovely)

A walk around Lough Hyne

Schull and the drive to Mizen Head

A drive around the Muntervary (Sheep's Head) peninsula

Bantry and Bantry House

Kinsale

A shopping expedition to Cork city

There's plenty more and I am sure you'll get more tips.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions from Clonakilty

Plenty to fill six days, never mind 3. Here's another suggestion. we have done this from Clonakilty. Drive to Baltimore and take a ferry to either Sherkin Island, or better still Clear Island. Both worth it, but Clear Island is really special.

Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions from Clonakilty

Just returned from a week in Clonakilty. Go to An Teach Beag for traditional sessions (contrary to De Barras where we felt like we were tourist invaders rather than guests). Also heard good music in O'Donovans Hotel bar. Follow Clauds advice...those were the best places we visited! I would add a ferry trip to Garinish Island at this time of year because the gardens are in full flower. Spectacular...plus you see seals sunning on the way over. We spent a lot of time driving. We weren't particularly impressed with Bantry House, but we loved the gardens and the view over the bay. I would stay and explore more of Clonakilty if I did it again. It is a charming town, Enjoy!

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions from Clonakilty

Thank you so much for your insiteful thoughts. They help immensely. That island is a new one to me, but we'll hopefully check it out as well.

As for O'Donovan's, we're staying there so I shall indeed be able to enjoy the music.

Again, thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions from Clonakilty

Hi DChouses, the only addition I would make to what's already been said is in terms of beaches. I find Inchydoney quite busy and might recommend Long Strand and Red Strand as alternatives. They tend to be less busy and as they are big beaches people are more spread out, however the rip tide at Long strand makes swimming impossible unless you know the water well, however there are often surfers and boogie boarders around who should be happy to share their knowledge with you.

It does depend on what you're looking for and what you like in terms of a beach, if at all!

6. Re: Excursions from Clonakilty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 02, 2009