We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Unfortunately I have to fly out of Dublin and will be in Dingle for my last 2 days. I I pulled up a route from on line that that goes from Dingle to Kinsale, then Kinsale to Dublin. Is this a good choice? I want a scenic route so we can stop and enjoy something about half way, but I also don't want to be in the car all day. Should I skip KInsale and go through Limerick and and Kildare? I could stop and see the Bunratty Castle maybe and Rock Od Dunamase? I 'd appreciate some advice.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Guinnevere, I hope you're not flying out from Dublin the same day that you're travelling from Dingle. It is a LONG drive, even if you take the shortest route via Limerick and Port Laoise. Going via Kinsale would make it a VERY LONG drive. You could do it if you're not rushing to get to Dublin but you would be in the car all day. Dunamase is quite nice. If you have the time you could make a detour and visit Timahoe (northeast of Abbeyleix and southeast of Port Laoise) to see the round tower with its romanesque window (bit unusual in round towers). You could also stop in Abbeyleix and see Morrissey's, one of the nicest pubs in Ireland.

graz
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Hi, we just came back from Ireland. Even short distances take a long time to drive... streets are narrow, you get a lot of roundabouts, and I would say average speed you can drive is about 60 kilometres/h. Not much... You certainly will have to drive many hours...

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Thanks so much for the info. I will be flying out the next morning, so I have the whole day to travel and from what you say that is what it will take. Had I read the tour book before i made my flight reservations I'd be happier but we will have fun no matter what. I guess I will go through Limerick. I will just have to return to Ireland in the future. So much to do and see.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

guinnevere, i would skip kinsale for certain, and limerick and bunratty as well....

kinsale because you have to go south and then back up and limerick because the traffic is horrendous a great deal of the time, bunratty is lovely but way out of the way since you have to go north for a good ways when you could be driving northeast and getting to dublin faster........ (before i get whacked on the head, i love all three places.)...

if there is anyway you can change your schedule and leave dingle a day earlier you could have a nice leisurely drive toward dublin and then spend your last night in dublin being close to the airport for departure date.....

just an idea....

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Yes Oma I will leave Dingle and drive to Dublin and spend the night in Dublin by the airport. So I have a whole day to make the trip but I want it to be worth while with nice stops on the way. My question is...which route should I take? I'm unsure now ,especially since you suggested I avoid Limmerick.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

guinnevere, i am sorry i didn't realize you were looking for a better route, i was just goofy while i was reading the posts i suppose...lol...

if no one else answers your route question before i go home tonight i will look on my ireland atlas and see what might me a good and enjoyable route....

i hate you have to spend your entire last day driving it would be great to be in dublin already and then you could see the hill of tara, malahide, etc., and maybe end your trip by doing the ghost bus tour your last night.....great way to end your trip.....

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Oma, I honestly hate being in the car but how else can I see even part of Ireland in 7 days. I couldn't imagine doing a bus tour.So I'm arranging it on my own. I'm an inexperienced world traveler so I will learn from my mistakes, (hopefully before I'm too old to travel this way, lol!). I did take your advice and I'm staying in Dingle for 2 nights and skipping Kinsale. If you have the time, any help with a good route from Dingle to Dublin would be appreciated.

dublin
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Take the Killarney Road from Dingle , Drive to Farranfore-then Castleisland- Limerick - and the N7 all the way to Dublin.

Alternatively if you have a rental you can return it in Farranfore and Fly to Dublin.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

guinnever,i am so sorry, i just flat forgot to come back and anshwer you....but wtfit's directions were right on....

you are so right to drive, if i seemed to be suggesting a tour do have me committed....hehehe...i think driving yourself is the only way, and i have done both so i speak from experience....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need best drive from Dingle to Dublin

Hi,We drive that route all the time as my husband is from Dingle and we live in Dublin. Best route by far is as said already,via Inch strand,Farranfore ,Castleisland Limerick and straight to Dublin. Without stopping it takes 5 hours. A nice place to stop for lunch halfway is Killaloe,just off the road from Limerick to Dublin,not far from Limerick(Dub side) .On entering Killaloe there is a nice pub called Goosers overlooking the lake. Its about 3 miles to the right of the main road but worth the small detour. By the way Limerick is by passed. Enjoy!