We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

My husband and I have a reservation for two nights at Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare in October. We will be coming from Cork to Kenmare, so we are planning on doing the ROK before checking in to Sheen Falls the first night.

Would we have enough time to do the Slea Head Drive and see Dingle on our second day? I had not heard about the Dingle Peninsula until I started doing more research.

We will be heading on to County Kerry for two nights after our stay at Sheen Falls.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

Wherabouts in Kerry are you heading to after Kenmare? The Dingle peninsula is one of my favourite places in Ireland, but then so is the Beara peninsula, which is very accessible from Kenmare and doable in a day.. Dingle is a fair way from Kenmare, there and back in a day would be too much in my opinion, especially in October when the nights are drawing in. There is a fantastic itinerary for the Beara peninsula posted somwhere on TA by daughter-mom in late June 2011 I cant do links but you could search it.. Beara is spectacularly beautiful, and less travelled - it really is a great day out from Kenmare.

Dingle is marvelous too, but its better visited from Tralee, or Dingle town if you dont want to spend hours in the car just getting there.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

Beara is between Cork and Kenmare and for me the best of the peninsula's.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g211923-i20379-k459…

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

Concentrate on the ROK one day and Beara ....If you;re staying elsewhere in Kerry you may be able to do the Dingle drive

Just a point ...Kenmare is in Co Kerry

Edited: 2:50 am, July 27, 2011
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

Dingle is about an hours drive from Killarney,so maybe after your 2 nights in Kenmare you could move on to Killarney.

Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

I meant to say we are going on to stay two nights either in Doolin or Ballyvaughan in County Claire.This would be our anniversary the first night we are here. I am between Gregan's Castle or Moy House. This is our first time to Ireland and we had always heard of the Cliffs of Moyer and Ring of Kerry(now I am finding out about all these other great sights).

1st Day- the Beara Peninsula and Killarney when we go from Cork to Sheen Falls in Kenmare

2nd Day-go to Dingle and do the Slea Head Drive

This will omit us doing the ROR. There is so much more to see than I expected in this area. I only thought we were staying here to do the ROR.

Should we only stay one night in either accommodation or omit going here all together on this trip and save it for a return trip to Ireland?

We have 3 nights in Dubin to start which we might could reduce to two, then two nights in Cork which we might could do one night?

Please help me this itinerary because I am getting so confused.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

My regular suggestion is to set of early drive into Dingle round Slea head back to Dingle then over the Connor Pass and on to Clare. This would be a full day driving but would get you where you are aiming for rather than heading up round and back down as a day trip from Kenmare.

I would consider 2 days Dublin then heading either via Kilkenny or Cashel or both to Cork/Blarney/Cohb/Kinsale for the night. 2 days Kenmare. Use a spare night for Dingle then on into Clare.

My choice would be Gregan's Castle or Doonberg Lodge for a special occasion.

http://www.doonbeglodge.com/

Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

Day 1-Arrive in Dublin around Noon. We have a package deal for 3 nights at the Merrion Hotel plus having jet lag and we can see everything on this trip hopefully that we could skip Dublin all together next time. HOHO bus, good pub for dinner(any suggestions?).

Day 2-sightseeing

Day 3-sightseeing, dinner at hotel

Day 4- Pick up Car and head for Kilkenny(Castle) to Rock of Cashel, Blarney Stone and hopefully Kinsale. Overnight Cork.

Option: Another night in Cork to see Blarney Stone and Kinsale

Day 5-Drive along coastal route towards Beara Peninsula and I am sure how much or what to see here. Killarney (Muckross House and Gap of Dunloe). Overnight Sheen Falls Lodge

Day 6- Drive the ROR. Overnight Sheen Falls Lodge

Day 7- Head to Dingle and drive around Slea Head. Overnight Greenmount B&B?

Option:Another night Dingle.

Day 8-Head over Conner Pass, then Ferry and do Loop Head Drive. Cliffs of Moher Cruise. Overnight Gregans Castle

Option:Another night Gregans Castle

Day 9-The Burren and head towards Adare. See Bunratty Castle.Overnight Adare Manor.

Day 10-Relax and see Adare Village before departure. Overnight Adare Manor.

Day 11- Fly back to U.S.

Please help with this itinerary. Thanks.

Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

I am going to explain my post a little better. All in all, we will have 11 nights in Ireland. We have some options I have looked at:

3 nights Dublin,1 night Cork, 2 nights Kenmare, 2 nights Dingle, 1 night Gregans, and 2 nights Adare.

2 nights Dublin, 2 nights Cork, 2 nights Kenmare, 2 nights Dingle, 1 night Gregans, and 2 nights Adare.

2 nights Dublin, 1 night Cork, 2 nights Kenmare, 2 nights Dingle, 2 nights Gregans, and 2 nights Adare.

Please advise due to sights we must see and the time we will need without being too rushed. Thank you.

9. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 08, 2012