We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home Rentals

Greencastle, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Home Rentals

Has anyone ever rented from Southbound Properties LTD in Dingle Ireland? We are interested in Blasketview Property.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home Rentals

Being a resident, I have never stayed in any of their properties. What I can say is that Southbound is one of the largest property companies in the Dingle area, and highly respected

Greencastle, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home Rentals

Thank you so much! We have 5 couples going for first time in July. Blasketview looked perfect to stay the week. We were told we could walk from the property to the pubs in Dingle. Any advice anyone can give us on what we should do while we are there for the week would be appreciated. It looks so beautiful there!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home Rentals

As you can see from the photos of the property, it has magnificent views of the harbour and it is within walking distance of town.

Some recommendations for you:

For good value and decent food I'd recommend either the Goat Street Cafe or An Canteen in Dykgate Lane. Some of the higher end restaurants like Ashe's and Global Village on Main Street and Fenton's on Green Street do good value "early bird" menus, uusally up to about 6.45pm. Paudie's Bar and Murphy's are good for pub grub.

Top end restaurants include Global Village and Charthouse, (both favourites of mine); Doyles, Half Door

Pubs (there are 43) worth a look: Dick Mack's, Foxy John's, Curran's (my favourite); Flaherty's

Flaherty's, John Benny's, McCarthy's, Droichead Beag are all good for trad music. Flaherty's would be my recommendation as best place for music in the traditional Kerry style.

For groceries there is a well-stocked Supervalu supermarket which stocks lots of locally produced products. There is a lovely bakery, Courtney's, in a laneway off Green Street (beside Dick Mack's). If you want ti purchase the freshest of fish (Dingle is one of our premier fishing ports), go to O'Cathain's retail shop attached to their processing plant.

The Slea Head drive is maginficent and you really need to give it 4 or 5 hours minimum.. The Blasket Centre is worth the best part of an hour, and make sure to browse the little book shop. The food is not great there, so I would suggest either Tigh Slea Head, or Tigh Aine for a coffee stop. In Ballyferriter village, there is a nice little local museum in the old schoolhouse, and the curator, Isobel, is very knowledgeable.

Further on towards Reasc you will pass Bric's pub, a lovely old country pub, where you'll usually find a couple of older native speakers conversing in beautiful Irish at the end of the bar. When you get to Gallarus, pass the so-called "visitor centre" on your left, and continue up the lane to a parking lay-by. There is no charge to see the oratory. In the privately-owned "visitor centre" you are paying for parking and nothing else.

If the weather is right, I would highly recommend taking a few hours out to visit the Great Blasket. The boats go out from Dunquin Pier (which is worth seeing even if you are not going out) from about 10am and you can buy tickets from the hut at the top of the path. It is pricey, €20 when last I went, but well worth it.

As you are staying for the week, take a drive out to Slea Head in the late evening to watch the sunset. Come evening, the day trippers and tour buses are all gone, and you have the place to yourself, even in July which is high season.

Drive up over the Connor Pass and visit the north side of the penisula. The little villages of Clochan and Brandon Pier are tucked away in the lee of the magnificent Mount Brandon.

Inch beach on the road in from Killarney is miles long and stunning

The peninsula also has some hidden gems, that are off the beaten track. Check out Annascual Lake with it's beautiful valley walk. Also Glenteenassig Wood - off the Camp-Castlegregory road

Horse riding (including beach gallops); golf on Europe's most westerly course overlooking the Atlantic; boat trips; kayaking; hiking are all availble locally

Have a look at these sites for more information

www.dingle-peninsula.ie

www.dodingle.com

and our local online newspaper www.dinglenews.com is full of information and lists of events

There are other Dingle afficiandos lurking about, and I'm sure they will chip in with their recs. in due course

If you have any specific queries, just holler

Greencastle, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home Rentals

You are certainly a wealth of information! I really appreciate it. We will definately look over your list of things to do. I know we will do some golf and want to see at least one castle, but otherwise just relax and enjoy your beautiful area and experiencing the Irish way of life!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home Rentals

Www.dinglelinks.com for golf.

There are ruined castles at Minard, Rahinnane and Gallarus

6. Re: Home Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 28, 2012