We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Camping

Hi,

I'm spending 4 nights camping before heading to a wedding and am struggling to find a campsite in Kenmare. I can only find a webpage that doesn't work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as we really want to camp rather than pay for B&B.

Cheers, Verity

Kenmare, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kenmare
Level Contributor
286 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping

Hi Verityk, there is a campsite about 2 miles out of town called Faungorth camping and hostel. The phone number is 353 0 64 6641770.

Tim...

killarney
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping

Hi just saw your post. I too cant find any campsite near kenmare. Did you stay at faungorth and what was it like. thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping

We ended up staying in Killarney which was a shame as Kenmare looked like such a lovely place and Killarney wasn't the greatest for food etc...

We were planning to stay in site mentioned in the Lonley Planet but when we got there found out it had been shut to the public for the past 2 years. We then decided to carry on around the ring of Kerry and stay in Killarney rather than go back on ourselves to try and find the other site.

If you have the budget I'd suggest staying in a B&B as Kenmare is a really pretty village with nice shops, places to eat etc.

Hope this helps.

Verity

Kenmare, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kenmare
Level Contributor
286 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping

What happened ?? Faungorth camping site is still open and has had a lot of work done this past year and always seems busy...

killarney
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping

thanks for that. Faungorth seems to be the best option. Checked it out and it looks great. A new cafe, plus a lot of activities all on site to do.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping

Hi there, just wondering if you ended up staying at Faungorth? Thinking of staying there in the next few weeks on a ring of kerry trip and just wondering what it's like. Prices look good to start with!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping

Better still, why not compromise and stay in a hostel. Failte Hostel right in Kenmare town is really very nice, very clean and has all facilities. It has dorms but also family rooms if you want more privacy. It is only a few seconds walk from the centre, yet it is a quiet location.

Jersey, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping

just stayed at Faungorth Campsite, would recommend it, so much stuff there, loads of space which i loved, beautiful spot. Funky cafe there too, nomnom cafe, so ate there too, managed to get good weather in Kenmare so had a great time, what a place!

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping

Yip would def say stay at Faungorth, great campsite, would recommend it to anyone. Great facilitites and beautiful spot. there are two websites i think- www.nomnomcafe.com or www.faungorth.com

Hope this helps:)

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping

The most beautiful view, really nice people and good facilities. We enjoyed great craic at the open mic night and the food in the cafe smelled deliciously. It is ideally situated to explore both ring of Kerry and ring of Beara.

Small note that the cafe is only open in summertime. I would recommend every camper to stay at the campsite.