We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

I plan on taking my handheld GPS and finding some caches in the Kerry/Cork area. Any recommendations of 'not to be missed' caches?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

Just downloaded the free Geocaching Intro App and will take a closer look into it over the weekend - thanks for the tips :-)

BTW wessexw have you found any free wifi spots in Sligo lately? We only know of the one at Tubbercurry Library / Teach Laighne and the one that was in the cafe at the Model Arts and Niland Gallery before it closed and will presumably be there again when it re-opens this year - our iPhones are UK registered and we try not to Data Roam when in Ireland so rely on the wifi hot spots that we find to check our emails when out and about...

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

I was home over Christmas and the only one I found was in the Glasshouse hotel, all of a sudden I picked up a BTopenzone signal which I really didn't understand as how could I be getting BT in Sligo? I was sat in the seats right in front of the bar beside the window on the riverside. Anyway it was quite strong and spent maybe about 10 mins on it. I can get on for free as BTopenzone is part of my Orange package. I think maybe O2 includes BTopenzone also?

On my last bill I saw that I had something like 20p in data charges, it didn't say when or where it came from but I had data roaming turned off the entire time I was in Ireland so don't think it could have been the time in the Glasshouse

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

Thanks - we'll give the Glasshouse a try as we've got BTopenzone passwords stored too. It is quite possible to pick up UK phone signals every now and then we find so maybe that was what you were accessing - obviously the nearer the border the stronger the signals but we've certainly had O2UK rather than O2IRL in town before this...

Back to geocaching and we could be hooked - always loved a good treasure hunt and scavenger trail in the past ;-)

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

www.geocaching.com is the official website for the 'sport'. It's free to sign up tho there's some benefits to being a Premium Member. There's a wealth of information about geocaching there with a great forum. There's also a search feature where you can enter your town's name and see all the caches right in your area.

Caches come in different sizes. The smallest, called a Nano, is the size of your little finger fingernail. The largest I've seen was on a wheat harvester. 35mm film canisters are good but the best are ammo cans and tupperware-type containers. Each cache contains a log to sign to prove the cacher actually found the cache. Then they go online and record their find, relating their experience of finding the cache. Sometimes there are trade items in caches, a keychain, cards, toys, just things of not great value. If you want something you take it and add something of equal or greater value. Some caches might also contain Travel Bugs or Geocoins, trackable items that are moved from cache to cache often with a goal. These are not kept. If you find one and take it, you're obligated to put it in another cache within 2 weeks. I've got about 20 Travel Bugs (really just an ID'd dogtag attached to something small) that are all over the World.

There's rules that need to be followed regarding hiding caches. No food in caches. It attracts animals. No weapons. No placing of caches near bridges, military sites or anywhere it could be taken for an explosive. I understand this could be a problem in the North.

No placing of caches near schools and not too near playgrounds. The trick is to find the cache, sign the log inside and replace the cache without being noticed by Muggles. Certain times it might appear the geocacher is lurking around an area when they're just trying to find the cache. This isn't a problem in the countryside, just in urban areas.

I've been caching for about 2.5 years in Hawaii, Mainland USA, Holland, Germany and Austria.

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

iPhones have apps that will do GPS tho as a rule they're not as accurate as a regular GPS. iPhones still work very well

The trick is to use your GPSr to get close to the cache, then use your 'geosense' to find the actual cache. Something just looks a 'little out of place', or 'that birdhouse has it's hole covered up'. 'Those rocks piled together seems odd.' Creativity in camoflaging caches is very important to some, and all caches are rated online by difficulty in terrain and difficulty in finding the cache.

Edited: 11:34 am, February 08, 2010
London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

Good luck with the geocaching Ragoora, hope you enjoy it :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

Thanks everyone...

It reminds of us a few months spent one summer (about 10 years ago) when we sought out and photographed in-situ as many of Ireland's sheela-na-gigs as we could - the hunt took us all around the country over a period of a few months and it had us in all sorts of hilarious situations from being moo-ed at by cows in a rural cemetery near Macroom one dark night to wading through yards of deep, sloppy pig mess with a farmer to access the 'rude girl' located in his turf store! In those days though we used enthusiasm and pen/paper/maps/books as our props ;-)

If geocaching is pronounced geo-catching how do you pronounce cache - catch, cash or cashay?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

Ragoora - we pronounce it 'cash', but not sure if this is 100% correct. It seems to be the easiest, however, so we stick with it! :-)

Hubby got a GPS for himself for Christmas last year and has discovered this little sport. We've found several even within our neighborhood, one even in my office building. I suppose now some time must be set aside during our next trip to Ireland for some geocaching fun.

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

'cash' is the correct way to say it. Like a cache when explorers went out and left supplies along the way for their return to base camp on multiday trips.

Items kept in a bag for trading into and out of caches is called swag. Today I was out and picked up a keychain and two paddling medals and left arrowheads. There is a hill behind my house that had a new geocache published and it was muddy at the time. Today was nice and sunny so I made the climb. The cache was right where it was supposed to be, under a boulder with a small rock hiding it. It was a small lock & lock container.

www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx…

Edited: 6:24 pm, February 08, 2010
20. Re: Geocaching SW Ireland - anyone familiar with it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 08, 2010