We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take away meals in Kenmare

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Take away meals in Kenmare

We will be in Ireland the whole month of September, and are spending the first 2 weeks in Kenmare as a base to explore the South West. We have rented a house in town. I found a lot of good suggestions for restaurants on TA, and we'll definitely be eating at some of them, but we also plan on eating at home a fair bit. But, I don't want to be spending all my time cooking. Are there any places in Kenmare that sell good prepared food - such as roasted chicken, lamb stew, salmon, prepared salads, etc.? What is the best fish and chips place in Kenmare? Is market day on Wednesday? What are the hours?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
The Mews Kenmare
$$ - $$$, Irish, International, European
Mick and Jimmys
$$ - $$$, American, Mediterranean, Irish
North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take away meals in Kenmare

Howdy jec1,

When I was in Kenmare in early Nov. of 05 there was a very nice deli style type takeout/sitdown that made really nice meals. We were walking around the square area. It was located a block or two east from the square on the road that goes to Bantry. I believe the N71. It was over the noon hour, so the school kids were out also. It was very crowded with locals and a few tourists.

I was through Kenmare on a Wednesday that fall and there was a small market (time of year, I suppose) on a Wednesday morning.

Happy trails,

SandBilly

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Bantry
Bantry
County Cork, Ireland
toronto, canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take away meals in Kenmare

Thanks for the information, SandBilly. That's just the sort of place I'm looking for.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
28 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take away meals in Kenmare

Truffle Pig is situatied in the square in Kenmare and does fresh ready meals that they cook on the premises such as Irish Stew, Beef Bourgouinon, Chicken stew etc and they are around Euros 9 per carton. For cooked chickens go to Supervalu the main supermarket in the town and this also does prepared meals too and has a salad bar. There is only one fish and chip shop in Kenmare and also a kebab takeaway that does chips too. Market day is Wednesday from around 8.30 a.m. till mid afternoon and you can get cheese, olives, quiches, cakes etc on the market stalls.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
toronto, canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take away meals in Kenmare

Thank you, ch1. That's very helpful. We're staying right near the square, so I'm sure I'll be the Truffle Pig's best customer. I'm also really looking forward to Market day.

Abiquiu, New Mexico
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Take away meals in Kenmare

If Jam is still there you won't have to cook much at all. Very nice!

6. Re: Take away meals in Kenmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 08, 2009