We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matlock BATH ... general information

Which Matlock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lake district
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Matlock BATH ... general information

Hi there,

I have just booked a holiday cottage in Matlock Bath for next year. I have managed to find the history of MB but cannot find any general info. As we are staying in a cottage I would like to know are there any supermarkets, good local butchers,paper shop etc.

Also eating out, where would you advise, we'd prefer good pub grub really but not adverse to Chinese (inc takeaway)Italian or bistro food oh and a good afternoon tea shop .. am I asking too much now?

Any info regarding the layout of MB would great also, is it flat and easy to walk around or do I need my walking boots.

Any other useful info would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance

T

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matlock BATH ... general information

The road and paths beside the river are quite flat but the other streets are steep, your cottgae may be up one of these.

I haven't walked there for some time, when driving through at first glance the shops are mainly cafe / souvenir / entertainment. You should find a range of places to eat. Matlock itself is a mile away and has 2 supermarkets as well as more restaurants.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,832 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matlock BATH ... general information

I was in Matlock on Thursday. The roads are VERY steep once you are away from the river. There's a brand new Sainsbury's right beside Matlock railway station and across the river in town proper there's a good selection of shops, including a 'proper' butcher's shop with pigs hanging in the window, plus a number of places to eat.

Matlock town centre is about a mile from Matlock Bath; your cottage might be further. I went through on the train and didn't spot much in the way of shops etc at Matlock Bath itself, but perhaps someone knows more.

There is a cable car from Matlock Bath up to 'The Heights of Abraham' that looks fun, but I didn't have time to try.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matlock BATH ... general information

Firstly, it is important not to confuse Matlock with Matlock Bath. Matlock is an ordinary town with shops and supermarkets etc, Matlock Bath is a village whose main industry is tourism and the retail outlets reflect that.

The following map helps to show the distance between the two places http://www.derbysbus.info/images/matlock.pdf

Also on the internet, the pictures at …tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/05/b9/ae/m… and at www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/visitalbum.php… of Abraham shows the topography of Matlock Bath off very well. The white buildings and those to the right of them are the shops and pubs etc on South parade and these are on the level along the main road. the buildings on the hill behind them are the houses !

There will certainly be a place where you can buy Milk, bread, newspapers etc, but for anything more substantial you will probably need to drive to Matlock Town or take bus 6.1 which runs every half hour.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matlock BATH ... general information

... and the picture on this web page may help as well:

derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/matlockbathwal… . The shops are along the road next to the river.

5. Re: Matlock BATH ... general information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Matlock