We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/pub advice

north east
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/pub advice

My partner is a real ale fan and we are both 'foodies.' [As in, we once drove for 3 hours to a pub to sample a particular pie which brought tears to his eyes]

We'd like to come down from the North for a weekend before the peak season. He is particularly keen on Jaipur beer which I believe is brewed locally.

Can anyone suggest a charming pub in a pleasant location which stocks this brew, with a restaurant and possibly with a rooms, or alternatively a lovely Jaipur pub, with a characterful hotel within walking distance?

Many thanks

Peak District...
Level Contributor
102 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel/pub advice

My post about the Bear at Alderwasley was removed. Don't know why. They have Jaipur on tap anyway and great food. The pudding shop in Bakewell and Chatsworth Farm Shop sells all sorts of ales including Jaipur.

north east
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel/pub advice

Fantastic! Thank you very, very much.

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel/pub advice

If you want to drink Jaipur - and I don't blame you - it is wonderful - then the place to visit is the Packhorse Inn in Little Longstone. The place is owned by Thornbridge Brewery and Jaipur is always on. Good food too.

Old Shoulder of Mutton, Winster

north east
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel/pub advice

Thank you so much. Off to google it now!

Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel/pub advice

Oddly enough although Thornbridge beers are brewed at Lumford Mill on the edge of the town you don't find their beers on sale much in any of the town's six pubs. The only place that will regularly have them on offer is the Rutland Hotel on the town square. A standard hotel bar which has been recently restored but a little dull for the average pub goer. Btw avoid the Manners if you want decent ale - it's a Robinsons house offering that company's rather dull product.

I'm not sure if the brewery actually own the Packhorse at Little Longstone but it's a short walk from Thornbridge Hall where the brewery started and they always have a good range of their beers on tap.It's a wonderful small proper country pub serving hearty, excellent locally sourced food.

This part of the Peak District offers the real ale drinker a treat as we have numerous small and micro breweries in the district, someone told me there are 21 within 20 miles of Bakewell which seems high but possible. Other pubs worth checking out;

Lathkil Hotel - Over Haddon

Flying Childers - Stanton in Peak

Monsal Head Hotel

Red Lion - Litton

Three Stags Head - Wardlow Mires

Enjoy your trip

16. Re: Hotel/pub advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, April 21, 2015