We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

Which Chesterfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seoul, South Korea
7 posts
Save Topic
Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

I’m writing this to see if anyone can help me with my itinerary for Peak District (for one night).

It has been quite tricky because this is my first trip to England and I come from so far away

(Seoul, South Korea).

My husband and I are a couple in our thirties and have been married for two years with no kid.

We are flying into to Heathrow on the third week of August and will stay for the week (mon – fri). Must fly back to Korea on the morning of Friday.

These are the things I hope to experience while staying in England

1.The usual churches, museums and landmarks for the first timers to London

(we are particularly interested in Christianity)

2. See a musical

3. Try the real, proper English breakfast & afternoon tea

4. Visit London’s interesting shops (vintage shops)

5. Spend one night in Peak District (yes, I am a P&P fan) and see the

Chatsworth House and the Haddon Hall.

I know that 5 can be quite tricky because we do not have a car at our disposal, unless we rent one from London.

Q1. Given our short amount of time, do you suggest we rent a car from London to drive up to Peak? (my husband has an international driver’s license)

Q2 Or is the trip doable with a train?

(I found out that we should take the train from St. Pancras to Chesterfield)

Q3. Should a rent a car from Chesterfield if we are to tour the district

(including the two houses I mentioned)? Is it easy to find a rent-car in Chesterfield?

Q4. Considering that I want to visit the two houses, where is an the ideal place to stay for the night? I saw many people recommending Bakewell. Is here an Inn or B&B you suggest that could supply good breakfast and scenery? (I love British B&Bs and prefer them over hotels)

Thank you all so much in advance!

Hopefully,

Grace

My budget: Would like to save, but don't want to miss out too much due to budget

My travel companions: Hubby (who can drive, but can't speak English)

My part of town: Seoul, South Korea

My likes: Most of English women writers (particualy Jane Austen), theology and Chrstianity (hubby's interest), beatiful gardens, cozy inns or B&Bs

9 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

I think,it is possible to visit both Chatsworth And Haddon Hall bu public transport, but Phil-the-Bus is the man to help you here....

You would be better to ask your London questions on the London forum, though..

Edited: 2:47 am, May 28, 2013
Seoul, South Korea
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

Thank you EssexWanderer.

Lik you suggested, I will post my London questions in the London forum.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

As you only have one night in the Peak District, this is one occasion when hiring a car might be easier, and yes Chesterfield might be the easiest place to hire it from as the drive from London is not particularly quick or scenic.

However bear in mind that Chatsworth takes a full day to do properly, so I suggest that you do this on the second day of your visit to the Peak District.

As to where to stay, I suggest that you go for one of the B&B's in Bakewell as they usually get good reviews and are central to both Haddon Hall and Chatsworth.

P-t-B

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

If your taking the Chesterfield route ..The crooked spire is also worth a wander round be fore you hire your car .

steve / caz

Seoul, South Korea
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

Thank you all so much for your valuable inputs!

Thanks to your great tips, I was able to come up with the following plan.

1. Arrive to Chesterfield by train from London (St. Pancras Station, approxmately 2 hrs) before noon

2. Hire a car from Sixt Car (near Chesterfield station)

3. Drive to Haddon Hall, spend the afternoon

4. Drive to Bakewell, unpack (at a B&B)

5. Look around Bakewell, have dinner at a pub? (any suggestions from locals would be greatly appreciated)

Next day

6. Wake up early. Drive to Chatsworth House.

7. Spend the morning and afternoon at the House, gardens, other places around Peak (suggestions?)

8. Have the afternoon tea they offer at Chatsworth (has anyone tried this? it is over priced from local's point of view?)

9. Drive back to Chesterfield, return car and board train back to London for evening at London Central

(hope to arrive by 6 pm)

Does this sound doable to you all?

I would appreciate any comments, tips or suggestions for additions to my plan from you.

Thank you!!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

<<7. Spend the morning and afternoon at the House, gardens, other places around Peak (suggestions?>>

Chatsworth has plenty going on, and if you want to take tea there, better stay there! The Park is massive, so you could always walk along the Derwent to Beeley, walk up to the Folly or walk to,"The Golden Gates"....

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

Looks good, although I doubt that you would be back in London by 6pm on Day 2 !

If you want to see some other parts of the peak on your way to Chatsworth, try stopping off at Monsal Head to look at the impressive view across the valley below - see and http://goo.gl/maps/0FpHf (Monsal Head is where the white dot is on the blue line).

P-t-B

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

That's a really solid plan, although I agree with Phil that you are better off planning to get into London much later in the evening. For the best train prices you need to book about 6 weeks in advance.

Phil's suggestion of Monsall Head is also a good one, but in the 3rd week of August the heather will be in full bloom on the moors, which is really spectacular. I'd therefore suggest a visit to Curbar Edge instead; marked here:

http://goo.gl/maps/UeERv

The road to it is narrow and twisting, but there's a small carpark at the top. Its a small diversion but well worth it. I'd allow 1 to 1.5 hours including the short drive.

Both Chesterfield and Bakewell have fabulous churches if that interests your husband.

Have fun!

Edited: 4:54 am, June 18, 2013
Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London

Curbar Edge is a great suggestion, you get a fabulous view over the Derwent Valley from there including an excellent "far" view of Chatsworth in its grounds...

Reply to: Two Day Trip to Peak Disctrict From London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chesterfield