We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

Tx
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

If you could only see one of these, which one would you pick? Both are of equal interest to us, but we don't have time for both.

13 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
28,576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

Hardwick Hall

More Glass than Wall!

A very influential design of it's day, with a strong Woman at the Helm!

Bolsover Castle is good, but it is just another Castle, and barely a Mediaeval one at that, albeit very "pretty".....

Edited: 8:32 pm, March 17, 2013
Tx
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

'Hardwick Hall

More Glass than Wall!'

Is that part of a song? Nursery Rhyme...odd, but I've never heard that in Texas. :) One of the main reasons I want to see Hardwick is because of Bess and her history. Thanks for the input...

Essex
Level Contributor
28,576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

it has massive windows, unusual in "the day"

More Glass, than Wall...

This picture will explain....

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Hardwi…

Hre is a good bit of info.....

timetravel-britain.com/articles/houses/hardw…

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

Ms Essex is, of course, right. But you might like to add to your mix Chatsworth House (The Palace of the Peaks) and Haddon Hall. The former is very ornate, the latter very simple.

But if it can only be one of the two that you suggest, Bess of Hardwick's place is the one. She was an interesting woman - four husbands, each richer than the previous one.

Have a great time.

Belper, Derbyshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

Hardwick. This history is special. Bess of Hardwick was a strong woman If you have time visit her Tomb in Derby Cathedral.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

I'm in agreement with the others, Hardwick hall.

Tx
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

Decision is made; Hardwick Hall it is. Thanks to EssexWanderer for excellent website and photo...now I get the 'more glass than wall' comment. And really who wouldn't want to pay homage to a women who had 4 husbands, all richer than the next? I can't wait.

We've added Haddon Hall and Derby Cathedral to the research list as well. Chatsworth is already a definite.

All of your input is invaluable; thanks so much!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,576 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

Haddon Hall is a great choice, if you can fit it in. It seems more "untouched" than some of the other places and is very atmospheric.

Despite that, You may recognise it though, it has been used as a filming location many times, especially as "Thornfield"...

It is not too far from Chatsworth, and makes a good pair/contrast visit...

http://www.haddonhall.co.uk/

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

If you are in the Derby area you may wish to add Kedleston Hall to your list. If you. Are not aware the National Trust have an excellent website.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,880 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?

As you're going to Hardwick (I agree, by the way) and Chatsworth I don't know if you're aware of the family connections between the two. The original Chatsworth House was built by Bess of Hardwick - though now it is lost within the later buildings. Hardwick was owned by the same family as Chatsworth until the late 1950s when they surrendered it to the nation in lieu of death duties - hence it is now owned by the National Trust.

I'd suggest perhaps half a day for Hardwick & a full day (or as near as possible) for Chatworth to do the house, garden & park justice.

Reply to: Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted