We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire in Bushmills

Which Bushmills hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
227 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
car hire in Bushmills

Is there possible to hire a car in Bushmills? I want to stay the Bayview Farm which is 7 km from Bushmills town. Thanks for the help!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire in Bushmills

No, but you can from Coleraine which is about 10 miles away. How do you plan to get to Bushmills? Most people would hire at the airport.

minnesota
Level Contributor
227 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire in Bushmills

Thank you for responding to my question. Well, my husband is afraid to drive on the opposite side of the road, so I thought if we could hire a car in a small town, then traffic would be easier to handle. I was hoping to take a train (or bus) from Dublin going to Bushmills and take tours around the areas. Bayview Farm seems to be a perfect place to relax for a few days. What do you suggest to do to accomplish that? Taxi back and forth can be quite expensive, don't you think?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire in Bushmills

Being harsh, you have to give up on one of your choices, you cannot choose to stay somewhere isolated and not hire a car.

Either bite the bullet and get a car, or stay in town. Sorry ;-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire in Bushmills

If you are arriving at Belfast International then you are arriving "in the country". If heading north then the first few miles towards Antrim town are on a fairly quiet country road.

If you are arriving at Belfast City then then you are right on the A2 which leads directly to the M3 which leads directly to the M2 so in effect you have driven about 20 miles without taking a single turn. You are then well on your way to Bushmills. On that trip you only need to change lane once.

If you are arriving into Dublin Airport then you are straight onto the M1/A1 and apart from stopping at a toll (payment in Euro) you can keep going in the same lane for 85 miles.

Compared to the USA our signposts are much much better so you have advance warning of where you are going. That is also a dual carriageway (divided highway) so there is no danger of being on "the wrong side of the road".

minnesota
Level Contributor
227 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire in Bushmills

Thank you, you are being very helpful!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire in Bushmills

Agree that the drive from Dublin airport to Belfast is an easy enough one but I would caution against getting off a plane and driving straight away.

Getting from Dublin to Bushmills by public transport would be very time-consuming as you need to get train/bus from Dublin to Belfast, then a bus/train from Belfast to Coleraine, then probably a taxi from Coleraine to your accommodation.

minnesota
Level Contributor
227 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire in Bushmills

Thank you. That makes sense. We will be in Dublin for a few days before flying to Belfast. Then, may be hire a car from the Belfast airport and go north. Or, take the train from Dublin to Belfast to Coleraine, then hire a car in Coleraine (it all depends whether Coleraine is a big city or not). According to

Drumlough, driving out of Belfast airport doesn't sound too bad. We drove in Italy and France before, drivers were very aggressive and liked to tailgate. I hope Irish drivers are more polite and lay back.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire in Bushmills

No flights from Dublin to Belfast. Where are you flying out of? If Dublin, hire in Dublin and return to Dublin - much easier.

It takes about 2.25 - 2.5 hours driving from Dublin to Belfast.

Drivers here aren't too aggressive at all. Of course, you may get the odd person tailgating but generally drivers are pretty courteous. There also aren't the big volumes of traffic on the road you see in e.g. on motorways in England.

To be honest, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't have a car around the north coast area. If your husband coped in Italy, he will sail through Ireland!

Edited: 3:37 pm, November 15, 2012
minnesota
Level Contributor
227 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire in Bushmills

I just searched. Yes, you're right, there are literally no direct flights between DUB and BHD, so close and yet so far. Isn't that something?

Looking at the situation, I think it is best to take a train from Dublin to Coleraine and then rent a car from there. I've tried to search for car hire in Coleraine without success. Any suggesions?

Thanks again for your insightful information.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire in Bushmills

Roadside Motors Coleraine

http://roadsidemotors.com/rental

Edited: 6:08 pm, November 15, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Bushmills
More Bushmills Topics