We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half-day activities out of Loei City

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Half-day activities out of Loei City

We plan to hike Phu Kradueng in late January. We will be flying into Loei via Nok Air, and due to the inconvenient flight times, we'll probably end up spending the afternoon and maybe a night or two in Loei City. Any recommendations for half-day excursions? We probably won't have a car, so we would need to take public transportation, or hire a driver. Thanks in advance.

25 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

ChangNoi1.... I won't have a car so two things, I guess: are there drivers available to help me see this area? Where do I find them?

What are the names of some of the places to stay in Phu Rua? I'll be coming by bus from Phitsanulok, so where would I get off the bus? or would I be gettting offf in Loei and then hiring a driver there?

Khon Kaen, Thailand
Level Contributor
529 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Coming by bus the most logical route would be passing Phu Rua. I would say Pizzanulok would be the place to find a driver/guide, otherwise in Loei city.

At the foot of the Phu Rua are an dozen of hotels & guesthouses and on at the park HQ you can rent tents (and maybe also bungalows).

Chang Noi

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

What do you think about my renting a small motorbike from Loei to get around in Phu Rua and that area from Loei to Da Nai? How busy would the traffic be in 2nd week of February there? I have ridden bikes in other countries but have heard so many warnings from other posters and friends about not riding in Thailand, but I was thinking, maybe in the mountains in this area, it would be not so risky? and maybe hardly a car on the road in this area? I have an International Driver's Licence with motorcycle included.

I'd also love to rent a bike and travel along the Mekong from Chiang Khan to Nong Khai but don't know how busy that route will be either, or how safe from other motorbike kamikazees. Is it possible to rent a bike just one way and drop off in Nong Khai?

Any thoughts on this?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

all the roads here offer freedom and danger.......there's alot of competition on these highways. From double tandem lorries to some guy pushing a dried squid cart, it makes for a lot of fast and slow, you have to be ready for anything at anytime. Throw in the fact that they also drive on the left, I might only attempt it if was very comfortable on a motorbike. Now, on the other hand I would tell you to definitely do it, as the road from Loei to Phu Reau and beyond is spectacular. Its one of the most scenic drives I've experienced in Thailand. Twisty turny with beautiful vistas, not to be missed.

Like the earlier poster mentioned, there's a ton of new places to stay near Phu Reua itself and might be nicer than staying in Loei City proper. But you'll still need to get around somehow. Stop in at Honda Mung Loei, a big motorcycle shop in downtown Loei at the traffic circle. They gave my friend a loaner bike while his was being repaired and maybe they could hook you up if you ask nice and offer a deposit.

It'll be fun and great, just be careful on that bike (wear a helmet for sure).

I saw an accident just about every day on my recent three and a half week trip to Thailand. There's just lots more traffic everywhere.....even unfortunately in Loei.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Thanks, Peter. Even though I'd love to travel by bike in that area, I think I'll hire a driver instead - better safe than sorry. Am looking forward to seeing that area.

Reply to: Half-day activities out of Loei City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loei Province