We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money?

Essex
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much spending money?

Hi,

We are off to Vilamendhoo in 20 days for our honeymoon, very excited!

How much roughly do you think we would need to take with us in cash for spending money?

Thanks,

Kay

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money?

nothing for spending money . everything goes on your bill and is best settled with cc on the last evening ... a few hundred usd in small denominations for tipping , is all

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,402 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money?

Everybody has different ideas, and it depends what extras you need to pay for - example Spa treatments, trips and special meals on the beach.We usually take around $400 in cash and a credit card (for two weeks).

Best to take some low denominations for tips. We usually bring cash back though, but that will give you an idea. The minimum I would take would be $200 in cash and a credit card. There is not much to buy in the Maldives and everything can be charged to your room and then settled by credit card at the end. You only really need cash for tips, local island shops and emergencies. .

Happy honeymoon.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money?

I am off to Vilamendhoo in 4 months from now :) We are on AI basis and we will take 1000 usd with us for massage, trips and small denominations for tips. As backup we have credit cards but for us it is much cheaper to pay cash than with cc because I lose 2.7% due to negative fx rate when paying by cc. If you do not like to carry lots of cash with you it is better to pay all your extras with cc.

Miki

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money?

Hi Miki,

Does it means that Vilamendhoo accept cash payment when check out?

But do we need to put some cash deposit on the day of arrival? If so, do you have any idea how much will it be?

I prefer to carry cash and make payment with it. This is because my credit card exchange rate is always not fantastic.

Thank you.

Shevaun

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money?

Yes they accept cash payment when check out. You do not need to deposit anything, you settle your bills during or at the end of your stay.

So take cash (USD) and settle your bill in the last evening spent at Vila.

Miki

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money?

Thank you so much.

I love this forum so much. Everyone is so helpful.

*feeling good*

Shevaun

7. Re: How much spending money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 20, 2015