We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping....

HI,,, we are off to Vilamendhoo in a few weeks, just getting all our bits and pieces together and I was wondering what's the policy on tipping, as in how much do you think is a decent amount?... I used to live in the USA so I am happy to tip for good service, should we tip the room guy, server and bar guy?... I know these guys don't earn much so we want to help them as much as possible... just need some advice... thanks

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping....

There's a guide to tipping in the faqs.

As you say its a personal thing based on the service you feel you have received - we tend to tip our room boy and waiter each week ($20-£25 per week); luggage boys $4 ($2 per case) on arrival and departure; compressor guys/ dive centre/boat crew as we dive; spa girls if we have any treatments and any bar staff that tend to look after us ($15/20 per week - we're not great drinkers though). Its useful to get a range of denominations, including some $1 and $5 to cover all eventualities but reception maybe able to exchange the odd $10 or $20 to smaller notes if you are pushed.

2. Re: Tipping....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 07, 2014