We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

Which Kapalua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

Aloha everyone!!

Less then a month before we are back in the Hawaii sunshine! YAY!

Just a bit of a background... My family ( Myself, husband, and 2 children 10 and 12) have been to Waikiki for the last three spring breaks... Well this year we booked our flights to Maui for a change. I know this will be very different that the hustle of Waikiki but I am sure it will be a nice change. We just booked the flights last weekend and got the rental car.. Then we had the task to find a place to stay. We really wanted a condo but the pickings a month out were not that great. We are a family of four so we were not going to spend 400-500 a night. We really won't be in the condo much anyways seeing as we want to explore the island.

So we found a nice place in The Ridge in Kapalua. I don't know much about the area...okay, pretty much nothing.

I was wondering if you guys can point me in the direction for a guide or something. How far is the drive to the other areas? How are the roads there? busy or pretty good flow?

Near the Ridge...is there anything there? If we were to go for an evening walk....are there and shops or anything around? Or in the evenings are we pretty limited to being in the condo?

Total newbie here! lol

any help would be great :)

Lisa

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

You are in my favorite of all places on Maui and I will be there with my husband and 2 kids March 16. Yes Kapalua can be a little windier or rainier, but it is a beautiful area and no place I'd rather be, especially if conditions are right. There is a coastal walking path that is beautiful right down in front of you that goes along the shore line. If weather and ocean conditions are right...Kapalua Bay is a great beach for snorkeling..my favorite..Honolua Bay for snorkeling is right there and DT Fleming is a great swimming and boogie boarding beach with life guards...remember to make sure that it is ok for swimming at that time. Last March some days were good, some days weren't. It is about 10-15 minute drive to airport beach, Kaanapali beach and Whalers village...shops and restaurants...not a bad and pretty drive! Roads usually have good flow. We drive there when things are a little rainy or cloudy in Kapalua...one good thing is great rainbows though!

Pineapple Grill is there which we like their breakfasts. Fancier dinner places close are Merriman's and Plantation house ( there are more, but these are my favorites. They are more expensive though...not sure of your budget. We eat in some and go out some. Also close is the Napili Marketplace that has a grocery store and Mama's Ribs which are fabulous!....we take it out and eat it on out Lanai watching the waves and the whales. There is also a market in Kapalua that has groceries and well as some take out. The Ritz has a couple restaurants but we don't eat there. The Gazebo restaurant in Napili has famous breakfasts with a long wait line...I've never done cause I don't like to wait when I'm in Maui.

Ok, I've rambled on and on...let me know if you have more questions.

Go on line to Kapalua website...there are other walking paths there as well.

Edited: 10:51 am, February 22, 2013
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

travelbugged did a great job of summing up Kapalua. Have breakfast at the SeaHouse in the Napili Kai Resort. Wonderful views. Just as good as the Gazebo and you don't have to wait in line!! Snorkel Kapalua if conditions permit.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

Don't forget Honolua Store ... it's great to pick up breakfast or lunch on the go!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

And if you can get the kids to join in ... hit the Slack Key Concert at Napili. It is awesome

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

Travelbugged, Isn't there a free shuttle for guests in the area? If you want to walk to a restaurant in the evening and get picked up by the shuttle, would that work? How late do they run?

Royalwood, we always like to get lunch at the Honolua Store in Kapalua. They serve lunch until 3:00. Order one of their delicious fish specials. Some of the regular menu items like hot dogs and pizza are not so great. I found out that they will make my favorite mahi mahi special, even when it's not listed on the menu. It's furikake coated mahi mahi with stirfried upcountry vegetables and rice. I asked to leave off the rice and they even gave me extra veggies! The folks behind the counter there were so nice! Also, be sure to add the Hawaiian chili water from the condiment table. Yum! You can eat out on their wrap around country porch with views of the quaint little church next door.

We are considering staying at the Kapalua Villas next trip. It is such a beautiful area. Bet you will love it.

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

Thank you so much for all of the ideas so far! I am going to have to print out a map so I can find all of the things you are talking about lol.

Has anyone stayed at the Ridge before? When I see " Kapalua Villas" are they talking about all the condos in kapalua area?

Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

In the past,we have stayed at Napili Kai, which is a bay or two south of Kapalua Villas , and love this area. Much quieter and less "commercial" than other areas, but great for relaxing and spending time together. This May, we booked a one-bedroom ocean front condo through Kapalua Villas and got a AAA rate of $249 per night. I believe it's on Oneloa Bay, and between the Ritz to the north, and Kapalua and Napili bays to the south. (google it: big complex of condos spread around Kapalua area; an Outrigger property) I love that coastal walking trail and boy, just can't beat that price. Some of the fairway villas were $175 per night. If you book through the "parent" company (Outrigger), I believe you get resort amenities such as the shuttle. I'll know more in May! I think this is the same complex as "the Ridge"... after having an issue with a VRBO-professional managed condo (we needed to rebook due to a medical issue, and of course, didn't have the trip insurance, and most vrbo condos have tough cancellation policies....) I appreciated being able to book a condo through the Outrigger, and know I have a much more generous, flexible cancellation policy.

Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

PS: for a day when you want to be off the beach for whatever reason, we always love the drive around the west head of Maui, and being in Kapalua, you are right there! Stop at the Honoloa Grocery to pick up breakfast or lunch and go. We follow the Maui Revealed guidebook--a must have, get it from your favorite bookstore. This ride is something my kids have always requested to do, no matter what age they are. When sea is rough, blowhole is exciting--just stay way back! When the sea if flat, you can check out some of the "baths". And the shave ice, banana bread and coconut candy are highlights. Plan to have lunch or early dinner in Wailuku or go on Paia...fun day!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

Yes when you stay anywhere in Kapalua there is shuttle that will take you to the restaurants, trailheads, beaches, golf courses, whatever. Very nice for when we take off in the van and our in laws go golfing there.

There are 3 sets of villas- the oldest are the golf...never stayed in those but some look like they have been remodeled nicely. They don't usually have as many bathrooms as the other villas. The ridge were next. They have some great panaramic views. I'll be staying in one this summer. In winter I lie to stay in the oceanfront villas. A bit more expensive but I love sitting out on the grass watching the whales.

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Maui!! Staying at The Ridge.....help! :)

If you plan to get wet, book a boat leaving from Maalea Harbor to Molokini Crater for your snorkel adventure in advance; and do try Snuba there if you are able. We are staying again at Kapalua and we used the free shuttle daily there last year. We bought groceries near the OGG airport at Whole foods and used the condo kitchen. We filled up gas in our rental car at Costco. You could also get the groceries there instead if you plan well ahead for a stop after the airport. It is about a good hour to Kapalua from Costco or Whole Foods, but worth it. We cooked a lot, and it still felt like a vacation. I cleaned up right away, so it never piled up on me. We snorkeled at Kapalua, and the two bays on either side flanking it until sunset. We never tried the swimming pools. Sunrise and sunset are worth every penny at Kapalua. We used the coastal walking trail evenings at sunset. We also went to Lahaina to see the Banyan tree canopy. We booked our condo directly from the owner not from the property manager pool, and we were happy with our free daily shuttle. Maui wows me!