We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

River Edge, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Would you choose the Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February? Should I be worried about weather at the Ritz???

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Ritz, 18.00 a day for valet parking, 10.00 a day to self park.

Grand Wailea, no choice but to valet park, and I seem to remember that it is now 30.00 a day???? I would have to search for the old thread to make sure or check their website.

These hotels are at opposite ends of the island, so I would want to ask you what your other interests are while you are visiting Maui. The Ritz is a long way from Haleakala, the Road to Hana, the swap market, Iao Needle, and Upcountry. The drive may not bother you though.

Also, who else is traveling with you? The pools at the Grand are a "kid magnet", but that won't be much of an issue in February. Spring break would be a different story, or July and August. But kids do come in all sizes.

It's a wonderful time to be in Maui with the whales. Are you talking about next month or next year? Hope you have a car rental in place already if you are heading there next month.

Have a wonderful time!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,634 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Aloha,

The resort fee at GW is 25.00 a day, and yes, the mandatory valet fee is 30/day. So your cost will be 55.00 **per day** more, right off the top, when you start looking at rooms there. I think it's one of the biggest ripoffs on Maui.

The Ritz isn't cheap, but I would take it any time over the GW. The resort fee is the same as GW, 25.00/day, but as Joan mentioned the parking is far less.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Our first stay at the Grand Wailea was in February. We have been back there twice since.

GW is beautiful, on a lovely beach, and best known for their garden pool.

Feb is a lovely time for GW. Not many school aged kids. ( I would agree with Joan to stay away from the GW during the summer months.)

I have attended a wedding and dinner party at the Ritz. It is a lovely property, but it is at the very far end of the West Maui. Quite a drive from other tourist sights, and tend to be more rainy, particularly during the winter months.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

It will be a bit more rainy and chillier at the Ritz in February but I'd rather stay there instead of the Grand Wailea, due to all the reason already mentioned above!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,373 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

I am not a fan of the GW for many of the reasons mentioned and then some.

But who is coming? Why just these two choices? Why not the Fairmont Kea Lani (Wailea) or Hyatt Regency (Ka'anapali)? If the Four Seasons Maui was too expensive I'd choose the Fairmont and probably even the Marriott over the GW.

If weather is a concern in Kapalua, Ka'anapali is better even though it is close. If a major system moves in it can affect the whole island, but Wailea/Kihei does tend to be drier.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

In general, people stay south on Kauai, Oahu and Maui in winter; reverse in summer. This is due to both weather and ocean conditions.

Few regulars on this forum are GW fans. Scott has good suggestions about staying in Wailea, but at other properties. You might also consider Makena Beach Resort. Staying in South Maui is also more convenient for touring Haleakala and Upcountry, Iao Valley, and Road to Hana -- and for the airport. Take a day to drive through West Maui, up to Kapalua, stopping at Lahaina.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Well I've NEVER seen Kapalua or Napili deserted in Feb. and I'm guessing that many are return visitors so the weather/ocean can't be that bad, can they?

We stay just south in Kaanapali and spend a lot of time to the north in Feb...easy commute! If you have rain move just a bit south. It really is amazing!

I would take the Ritz any time of year, never stayed just toured.

Sandpoint, Idaho
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

We were at the Ritz from the 14-21 and would not recommend it. It looks tired and the service was about a 3 stars. I wrote a long review, but it has not been posted. The weather was fine.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Definitely the GW. The weather up that way at the Ritz would most likely be windy/rainy. We love that part of Maui but not in the winter months.

Good luck with your decision!

Toronto
Level Contributor
933 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Wailea or the Ritz at the end of February

Agreed...Kapalua is beautiful but the beaches there are at their best in the summer months. It is also very very windy around the pool area although I understand the resort has been redone. Maybe they readdressedt hat issue.