We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices of fruits and vegetable

Which Kapalua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
prices of fruits and vegetable

We are travelling to Kapalua in November with my sister who is vegetarian and only eats raw food. Any idea where to shop for the fruits and vegetable and what the prices approx. are? Thanks.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

Like everything in Hawaii the prices tend to be high. All the grocery stores have a wide selection of fresh fruit and vegtables. As an example of price a pineapple will run $1.99 a pound, Papayas 99 cents a pound. Large mangos, 3 to 4 dollars a pound.

There are roadside stands and farmer's markets as well but the peices wil not be much lower.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,568 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

i eat mostly fruits and veges...i found MANY places to buy them. on t;he road to hana,there are 2 fabulous organic farms. i had no trouble. when up country, by kula, there are many ...look and ask for lopes stand. they had the BEST strawberries, you could smell them from the car. and tuberose 4 for 1$....i bought as many as i could get in the car...the condo smelled so good. they also have lots of fruits and veges.

the organic ono farm, near hana, lets you taste EVERYTHING ice cream bananas, jamacian lilikoi...we had a taste treat sensation there. it is expensive on the island...but what the heck. the avos are fabulous , as well... i was in heaven

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
351 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

1.99 a pound is a great price for pineapple compared to Arizona...can't wait to get back and get some fresh pineapple!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

Yeah, generally things higher on the island, especially compared to California where much of our veggies are grown in state and priced mostly decently. There was a bucket of blueberries at Safeway that were soooo expensive..something like $9.

At home, we have a blueberry farm nearby that has a pick-your-own field in summer...we pay about $2 per tub.

But the tropical Maui grown fruits are awesome...so just add it in to the price of the vacation and enjoy!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

mauimarshall...not sure about AZ but pineapples here are 2.99 EACH not by the pound. 1.99 pound is like 5 or 6 dollars easlily per pineapple. The big mangos we saw last month averaged 9 or 10 dollars each. Granted they are bigger than the normal mango but still.

Edited: 11:45 am, November 03, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

mauimarshall....actually pineapples are abundant and cheap right now here in Phoenix....2.99 ish but not as sweet as Maui, bought 3 the other day, cut one open and yuck...watery and not sweet :-(

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

Aloha,

Here ya' go:

www.bestofmauiguide.com/farmersmarket.html

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,173 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

Prices at the Ohana Market in Sept.

Three(small) strawberry papayas for $1 After 2 days they were out of these. Other vendors had papays for 4 for $5. Huge romain lettuce 1.50 Long green beans..good variety of veggies and fruits.(T. W & F check link for hours.)

Green Dragon is now located where Kahului Beach roads becomes Wailuku beach rd across from the Jack in the Box. Great prices here on veggies and fruit. They are open 7 days a wk 7 am to 7pm.

It's worth the drive to visit these two.

http://mauinow.com/EventCalendar/

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
351 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

Ahhhh you are right, I was still sleepy and missed the pound part. Mostly posted to check my avatar pic, after ALL this time I still had a pic of me at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...shameful.

By the by in the background of that picture is Christopher Lloyd... :)

Kelowna
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prices of fruits and vegetable

The farmers marhet by the canoe club is more like an outdoor Safeway. When we were there lots of the items were not even local and the prices were higher than the super markets. We found a great farmers market called Green Dragon Farmers' Market. They have moved since our last visit and our now located @ 200 Waiehu Beach Rd. in Wailuku. Loads of local stuff and fantastic prices!