We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Omaha, Nebraska
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Hi, all!

My girlfriend and I are going to be spending a week in Kapalua at the end of May and I was wondering if you could help me out in planning some fun activities and restaurant suggestions.

We're doing the trip on a budget, so the more affordable, the better in my book.

So have at it: Where can we find the best hiking trails? Where are the fun, chill beaches? Where are some good spots to grab cheap happy hour drinks and tasty meals without breaking the bank?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

For hiking, have a look at this site ... very convenient to where you are staying:

kapalua.com/index.php…

If you are doing the road to Hana, the Pipiwai trail is a highlight.

If you are going to Haleakala crater, there are trails there.

I bought this book which I'm really impressed with: amazon.com/Top-Trails-Must-Do-Hikes-Everyone…

Great beaches close to where you are: Kapalua Beach, Oneloa, DT Fleming, Napili. For snorkelling, don't miss Honolua Bay, also close to where you'll be. Kapalua Beach also has good snorkelling. A day trip to South Maui is worthwhile ... good beaches there!

Re Happy Hour ... there's a thread from a couple of days ago (maybe on page 2 now) with Happy Hour recommendations.

Have fun!

Edited: 2:55 pm, May 20, 2011
yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Also, to save money, if you plan on going to Haleakala (for either sunrise by yourself or hiking its trails) AND Pipiwai Trail, then you can use the same ticket ($10) at both places within three days of each other.

Iao Valley is free, but it's not a strenuous hike or anything more than a walk through a park. But the views are wonderful. Have heard good things about Waihe'e Ridge Trail in the mornings. Definitely recommend Pipiwai Trail.

Lots of affordable eats in Kihei, a nice town with lots of good beaches in South Kihei. Might want to make a day of it? Good snorkeling off some of the same beaches, too.

If you have the time, maybe take the ferry to Lanai? Much cheaper than the catamarans, and you can spend the time on the beach or snorkeling as long as you want.

Paia is a fun, small surfing town with some good, affordable eats (Paia Fish Market) and some nice stores to browse through.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Check out Na Ala Hele website (just google it) for hikes that are more interesting and challenging than the Kapalua Trails. Nothing against those, but you may be interested in something not "everyone" can do.

Kapalua has magnificent beaches, most are great for snorkeling. If you are an experienced snorkeler Honolua Bay is fabulous. If you aren't, make sure you don't mind a rocky beach and an entry that is harder than most on Maui. Slaughter House beach, which is close, would be easier as it does have a beach.

Go to the Maui forum, check the menus on the left and right for all kinds of ideas and places to go for cheaper meals.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

msfuzz ... I referred to that website (Na Ala Hele) prior to our trip, but more than half of the hikes are indicated as "Trail Closed!!" ... curious as to why? One hike is a motocross trail, and another is a 5.5 mile hike one way ... if you don't have a ride back, you'll be doing another 5.5 up and over the ridge again. It didn't leave a lot of options for choosing hikes during our trip...but the book that I mention above was a good alternative.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Thats cool susan, glad your book was of help to you. Since I have a bad habit of not remembering the trail names, I suggested the web-site. The trails I have in mind are on there and open.

I do know some years ago some trails in the upcountry area were closed to bad flooding. I assume that is why some of them are closed, no one or no money to fix them. Other's could have been through private land and access has since been denied. Just pure speculation on my end, but I bet I'm not far off!!

t91
nohe
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Good stuff. Thanks.

Omaha, Nebraska
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

Thank you all for the insights. I really appreciate your help!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

If you haven't already booked, a condo is usually more economical than a hotel. Having a kitchen gives you a lot of options for inexpensive meals, particularly breakfast, which can cost a shocking amount, compared to coffee and fresh fruit in your condo.

Good, cheap eats in the area:

- Honolua Store - take out breakfast and lunch

- Okazuya & Deli Honokowai - take out lunch and dinner

- The Fish Market Maui - great fish sandwiches and fish tacos, also fresh fish for cooking at your condo.

- Aloha Mixed Plate - Good local food, right on the water, behind the Lahaina Cannery Mall. Also has a great happy hour.

- Star Noodle - Great, creative Asian food. Uphill, above the Lahaina Cannery Mall. Same owner as Aloha Mixed Plate. Small plate sharing, but prices can get up there, particularly for the drinks.

Also don't be afraid to stop in at the local supermarkets. They all have a good selection of hot and cold prepared items. My favorite are the poke bowls at the Foodland Farms.

For hiking, I like the hikes at the Kapalua Adventure Center. My favorite is the Village Hike, as I find it very interesting to see how fast nature is reclaiming the old golf course, and enjoy seeing all the butterflies. Also, visit the Nakalele Blowhole, up north of Kapalua. Relatively short hike, but rewarded with a natural wonder. Just be careful, both on the trail and at the blowhole. Nature has no guardrails.

For snorkeling, msfuzz is dead on. Kapalua Bay is the easiest, with a great sandy beach and easy entry. Honolua Bay is the best snorkeling, but it's a walk to get there and the "beach" is all rocks. But worth the effort. Also, if you can get an early start, drive down to Kaanapali and snag one of the free parking spots, just past the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. There's only a dozen spots, so go early. One of the best beaches in the world, with some good snorkeling out at Blackrock. Again, be careful, as the currents can be strong.

9. Re: Hiking trails/activities/beach reccomendations/restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 25, 2012