We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally Misrepresented

New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Totally Misrepresented

My husband and I just came back from the Kapalua Villas on Ridge Road. We didn't get accommodations like you see on kapaluavacations.com. The pool that they said we could use near our Villas no. 2422 was not like the pictures. We asked for a newly renovated Villa and didn't get anything like you see on their web-site. My advice don't waste your money. Go some place else.

1. No air conditioning in the Master Bedroom.

2. Poor security - attempted break in first night (don't bring valuables -- don't use the safe. Cheap safe anyone could get into.

3. Bugs if you leave food out like cereal.

4. Home depot renovations not what you see on their web-site

5. I paid $297.00 a night for renovated Ocean View Villa. I don't live like this I don't want to pay to stay in a place like this. I have a spa bathroom at home and fine furnishings.

6. Poor service--they just don't care. They say I'll tell the owner. You'll never see or hear from the owner.

7. Old lumpy bed.

8. Old second hand furniture.

9. Small pool.

10. The carpeting is industrial carpeting. The cheapest you can buy.

11. The Ritz doesn't like you using their facilities and you will know it.

Don't stay here if you have already made reservations cancel or change them. Stay some place else.

www.ereinman@comcast.net

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally Misrepresented

Terribly bad news 2sunflowers, but hope rest of your experiences on Maui compensated.

Suggest you conact your Credit Card company and "dispute the charge". Have been up against a few stone-walls and received either full, or partial, compensation; Thanks to Visa and Master Card.

There is a 60 day time limitation, they may try to hide behind, but in your extreme case would think your card issuer would go to bat for you. If you have success, please let all of us know; if not, please do the same...and identify the card company.

Wernersville, PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally Misrepresented

2sunflowers - it's clear you had a rotten experience and I hope you find some measure of satisfaction. I also hope your vacation was still a relative success.

Through Sullivan Realty we got a lousy unit back in 2000. On the other hand we had a fantastic unit the first time we visited; it was rented through Kapalua Realty.

In addition to the credit card dispute idea, how about a scathing letter to the Better Business Bureau (copy Ridge Realty) and/or informing Ridge Realty know that you've posted several scathing reviews on TripAdvisor? Regardless, it looks like folks should steer clear of them.

I know this is no consolation to you now after what you've been through, but for the benefit of others.... unlike a hotel, each of the 500 units collectively called the Kapalua Villas is independently owned, decorated, maintained and furbished (or in 2sunflowers case, not). Some units really are fantastic as other posters have indicated, but obviously not every unit. Thorough due diligence is recommended.

California
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally Misrepresented

I hope the entire trip was not ruined for you although it sounds like it was. I guess it's all in how you look at it. I'm sure the weather was wonderful. I hope you were able to get a little of the Aloha Spirit flowing through your soul.

San Fran
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally Misrepresented

2Sunflowers, I am confused.

I am looking to book a condo in Kapalua for my family (two kids, 9 and 11) in March and I don't want to stay where you stayed!

You say "My husband and I just came back from the Kapalua Villas on Ridge Road" and someone replied that you should write a letter to Ridge Realty about how bad your stay was.

Did you stay with the Kapalua Villa Program or Ridge Realty?