We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days of touring

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
183 reviews
2 or 3 days of touring

Hi. I think I may get to come to Cornwall! I'm thinking of coming into London, then taking a train to Truro and touring a few days, then going back to Oxfordshire to visit some friends and see a few places I missed when I was there before. I don't like to spend a lot of time seeing various places. I like to see them and move on after a few pix. I think I will get into Truro late afternoon. Will I then need two or three days to see the main sites? I will have someone to guide me and drive me. Thank goodness! I especially want to see St. Isaacs, the cliffs and waves, some lighthouses, some lighthouses, maybe a castle, and St. Michael's. I know I could spend a lifetime and not see everything, but could you see the highlights in two days or do you need three? I won't have more than three. Just opinions. I know there is no definite answer. Thanks so much.

12 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

When you say "St Isaacs", do you mean Port Isaac? Easy to spend at least a few hours there (I'll be staying in Port Isaac for 3 weeks during my next holiday and still won't see everything I want to see in Cornwall). If you like castles and such, there's Pendennis Castle in Falmouth and St Mawes Castle on the headland opposite Pendennis. Historic houses abound (Cotehele - my favourite - plus Lanhydrock and Antony to name just three). The villages are beautiful and the people are lovely.

Whatever you do during your time in my most beloved county, you'll have a lovely time.

Edited: 11:00 pm, December 06, 2013
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
2. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

If by "will I see the main sights in 2 or 3 days?" you mean in all of Cornwall then, no, you most definitely won't. Cornwall is a long county, nearly 80 miles from east to the far west and it is full of what many visitors would consider to be "must sees". You'll see "cliffs and waves" everywhere, after all, Cornwall is surrounded by the sea, the northern coast is more rugged than the south but for me, the south coast is prettier.

I think you need to sit down with a good guide book to Cornwall, I don't know whether you can buy it in the US but the Crimson Guide to Cornwall is excellent and divides Cornwall int several sections. Make a list of the sights/towns/villages/attractions that appeal to you then come back to the forum for some specific help.

As it stands I envisage you blasting around the Duchy at breakneck speed just ticking off boxes and Cornwall is worth much, much more than that.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

I would say you can explore accordingly if you want to see them and take a few clicks. So, two or three days are really sufficient.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
4. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

2 or 3 days to see all that Cornwall has to offer? I really don't think so.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

You aren't going to see Cornwall in a couple of days, but more importantly you aren't going to enjoy it. Cornwall is meant to be enjoyed in a leisurely way, not speeding round from one place to another and taking a few snaps.

Let's hope the person you have driving and guiding you knows what they are doing, as otherwise you run the risk of seeing a lot of hedges and the A30.

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

Thank you all so very much for your advice. I'll get a guide book as was suggested. I really appreciate your help!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
974 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

What time of year are you coming?

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
183 reviews
8. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

Early June.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
795 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

That is a good time to come as 'hopefully' the weather should be OK and settled.

Also everything will be open but still fairly quiet as far as visitors go and the roads will also be OK and not choked up with caravans and holiday traffic!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
974 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: 2 or 3 days of touring

Early June is a great time to come.

Do you have a particular reason to be in Truro? If you've only got a couple of days then personally I would select a more scenic base in a particular part and explore that, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time in the car and not much time seeing and experiencing Cornwall. Eg St Ives, Falmouth or Port Isaac itself would be good bases for the West, South and North respectively. You could see all of the things you've mentioned from these places (although possibly port Isaac to St Michael's Mount would be a stretch.

However, if you do just want to drive around and take snaps, you could have a reasonable attempt in three days with a good driver. (I'd probably still stay in Falmouth rather than Truro) Will you have three full days or three nights (I. E 2 full days?)

Reply to: 2 or 3 days of touring
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted