We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants open, boats running next week?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Planning a last-minute first time visit to Crete with a teenager. Is is easy to get around the island without a car this time of the year? Are the boats running as well? Most importantly are the restaurants open? Thank you in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi

You've posted this on the Plaka forum, so I presume you mean the restaurants and boats in Plaka? Transport links to Plaka at this time of the year are very poor - buses only run one day a week! I would suggest you stay in Agios Nikolaos if you want to be in this area. Ag. Nik. is a proper working town, so things are open all year round.

I'm sorry, I don't know if the Spinalonga boats are running - but I would guess possibly not.

Bus timetables from Ag. Nik. follow:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi there

Agree with Steve to stay in Agios ...we have spent time here in the winter and there is still plenty of shops tavernas etc open to cater for the locals, with regards Plaka the boats from Agios won't be running as it's out of season but I believe the small boats from Plaka do ..but restrictive opening times for the island, so you would need to catch the bus into Plaka some 15 mins away from Agios

odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2607

You may want to contact them to confirm times as these are for 2010

Edited: 5:36 am, February 14, 2014
Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
848 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Transport with bus along the north coast or between big cities or villages have frequent connections, every 30 minutes or hour. The rest destinations have 2-3 buses running per day, usually very early in the morning or around lunchtime (coinciding with the opening or closure of businesses). About restaurants and food options, I wouldn't worry much!

Chester
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi,

If you get to Plaka and the boats are not running to Spinalonga walk back to the water sports centre ( privately run business) at the Blue Palace beach and the guys will take you across for about 30e ( for the boat return trip) max 4 people per speed boat.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi Keith

I cant see the water sports centre open - not in Feb its far too cold :-(

Chester
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi MG,

perhaps you are right but if they have made it to Plaka and the boats are not running it was a possible option.

Anyway I thought those water skiers were a hardy lot.

PS tearing my hair out, sorted PDLC for Easter, my wife now wants to go to Madeira in July and Crete in September, Agi Nik or Elounda? I thought we had it sorted but it looks like the Russians have taken over the hotel in Agi and a few posts have said that last year a lot of the guests were rude Russians.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi Keith

If you want some help on hotel locations etc just let me know, which hotel were you going to stay in Agios ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Thank you for all the tips! Will take your advice for Agios as we will be relying on public transportation. Are there any resort type hotels by the water there? Will look under hotels now. Thank you again.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

Hi there

As it's out if season not all hotels will be open i would suggest you look at staying in the hotel du lac not somewhere I would want to stay in the summer but a great location in the winter as it overlooks the lake but you won't be worried by the noise from all the tavernas around the lake as these are closed during the winter months... Beautiful view and right in the centre of Agios too

http://dulachotel.gr

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants open, boats running next week?

I'm going a bit off-topic here I know, but bear with me!

VolcanoGirl, please could you say what you mean by a resort-type hotel. I think there may be a difference in meaning from one side of the Atlantic to another here, from what I've seen on other threads.

To me, a resort is a town or village where people go on holiday, like, say, Plaka, or Elounda, or Agios Nikolaos. But I suspect it has a different meaning Stateside.

Reply to: Restaurants open, boats running next week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Plaka