We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer needs help where to visit

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer needs help where to visit

We are coming to Toronto in July and will hire car to to stay somewhere on the lake for 4 days. We are in our 50s so like to hike but not too strenuous. Enjoy boat trips, pretty scenery, may hire a kayak, wander round some little towns, spot of sunbathing on a beach. Would like to stay in area where there is good choice of accommodation with pretty lake views and close to things to see/do,

I see Tobermory seems to be popular as does Goderich, Wassaga Beach and Midland area.

Can anyone give me any pros/cons of any of these places or suggest any others.

Many thanks.

Pam

9 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Tobermory is the best option for hiking and unique scenery, as its adjacent to the most spectacular parts of the Bruce Trail through Bruce Peninsula National Park. You can go for hikes of various lengths and difficulty levels that will take you along the cliffs and rock formations of the Niagara Escarpment overlooking Georgian Bay, and take boat trips to Flowerpot Island for easy hiking there and to see its sea stacks. Really a beautiful area. Tobermory itself is small and cutesy with lots of locally-caught whitefish on offer at the many fish and chips places in the tiny downtown. Kayak rentals are certainly available in town.

Wasaga Beach is really just a beach town, yes there are some trails available in the provincial park by the same name but the crowds in July are mostly there to bake in the sun on the sand.

Midland I'm not as familiar with and I don't think there's much hiking etc to be done there, but it has the advantage of offering boat cruises in the 30,000 Islands, the archapelago created by the Canadian Shield entering Georgian Bay.

By the way, you really don't need to post the same question on the forum for each town. Those are each pretty low-traffic forums, so the threads will mostly be seen by people viewing the overall Ontario forum, which displays all of them.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Sorry about the multiple posts. I didn't know who looked at what thread.

Thank you for your prompt reply. That is very helpful advice. Tobermory sounds lovely. I have seen a nice b&b I like the look of in Sauble but this is at the bottom of the peninsula. It sounds like I need to look further up.

Does anywhere else offer boat cruises other than Midland? Or is that a particularly good area to cruise because of the islands?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Well ... lots of areas offer boat cruises.... in the Muskoka region there are boat cruises from Parry Sound that explore the 30,000 Islands of Georgian Bay, from Gravenhurst the Segwun (restored, historic steamship) that cruises the Muskoka lakes, from Bracebridge the Lady Muskoka, which tours Lake Muskoka.

In the eastern part of the province, there are cruises that explore the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River, leaving from Gananoque and Kingston.

There are also cruises on the Rideau Canal from Kingston to Ottawa.

There are probably others as well in the Kawartha Lakes district, and on the Trent Canal system.

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

The boat cruises at Midland are to see the 30,000 Islands. The 30,000 Islands are a huge archapelago extending much of the way up the eastern shore of Georgian Bay. There are other towns with boat tours in the 30,000 Islands as well, including Penetanguishene and Parry Sound.

There are also boat tours in Tobermory. I mentioned that there are some that go to Flowerpot Island, but there are also some that just give scenic tours of some of the cliff areas. There are also some shipwrecks in the Tobermory Harbour that some of the boat tours visit (in some cases "glass-bottomed boats" meaning there are windows facing down through the deck to see underwater).

As phpr says, there are other scenic areas in Ontario with boat tours available, such as the Thousand Islands and various lakes in Muskoka and the Kawarthas.

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

I should add, by the way, Sauble itself is a beach destination, comparable to Wasaga but quieter. A popular spot in its own right but if you're more interested in trails and boat rides than beaches, you should look at staying farther north on the peninsula, closer to or in Tobermory.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Thank you both. Appreciate the time you have taken to post.

The Tobermory b&bs I've looked at so far either are a bit pricy or have mixed reviews but I shall keep looking, moving south a bit but we definately want to be in that general area as it sounds like it ticks the boxes and we can make a day trip to Midland for the Islands cruise and see a different part of the lake.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Just remember that July is peak season so rates will be high in most places.

This site may be of help:

bbcanada.com/ontario/bruce_peninsula_souther…

Edited: 6:22 pm, February 21, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Sauble Beach is great if you like to walk along the beach and watch the beautiful sunset. It has a busy small downtown area with a good restaurant choices. Tobermory is about an hour drive away. The national park's main entrance is about 15 minute drive south of Tobermory, and this has the most scenic hiking of the entire Bruce Trail. The trail to the lake is not difficult, once you get to the lake, it is slightly harder with walking up and down boulders. It's definitely not strenuous. Places in Bruce Peninsular are spread out if you aren't staying in downtown Tobermory.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer needs help where to visit

Here is an awesome bed and breakfast that we have stayed at. It is located in Lion's Head, which is part way up the Bruce Peninsula and south of Tobermory. The rates are very reasonable and the breakfasts are absolutely awesome. Here are the tripadvisor reviews tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g667489-d1762399…

There are also several restaurants in the Lion's Head area. I can personally recommend Marydates.. a tiny restaurant with good hearty meals at extremely reasonable prices (It is also within walking distance of the aforementioned bed and breakfast. Reviews can be seen at

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g667489-d23…

We also greatly enjoyed a meal at "North on Six' which is located on Highway 6 not far from Lion's Head. You can see reviews at

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g2086955-d3…

I honestly think that Tobermory and the Bruce Peninsula will give you the experience you are looking for. We spent an entire day hiking and only scratched the surface of the trails we wanted to cover.

Reply to: 1st timer needs help where to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bruce County