We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

nmj
wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

We are docked for 2 days in October in Le Verdon. We have one day planned to Bordeaux, and don't want another long day. Is Royan by ferry doable from Le Verdon, or not worth the bother? Is there anywhere else to visit within 1 hr...and if so by what mode of transport?

22 replies to this topic
La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

Quick update, on 13th july we took the 7.55 first crossing of the day and there must have been no more than 10 cars and a couple of lorries only. It was a bit choppy ( it ended up as a storm force wind during the day which caused all sorts of problems on the atlantic coast) and without the normal ballast I cant say I enjoyed it but the crossing only took 20 mins. Very efficient service.

Zephyr Cove, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

WE are on the Oct. 1, wine cruise and have booked a car at the train station in Royan. Are you going to be taking the ferry across also? I have been trying to find a current map for the cruise port in relation to the ferry. Any information?

nmj
wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

I'm sorry...no I haven't found any information on that.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

I can't find it now, but I was playing around on the interweb last night and found some pictures of the QM2 moored at the Container Dock at Le Verdon so seems that this is where the large Cruise ships berth.

The Container port is quite a bit further down the Gironde to the Ferry - sort of 'south' of Le Verdon whilst the Ferry departure point is much nearer to Pointe de Grave.

Depending on your level of mobility it maybe walkable but looks like it is a couple of Km at least. Otherwise you might need to get a taxi.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

Here's a nice set of 'photo's I've just found - not the ones I found yesterday, but never mind!!

The French love this ship, but then they did build her!!

bordeauxphotopassion.fr/gir/…index.html

Zephyr Cove, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

Hi we are doing the same thing and hoping to make the 9:30 ferry. I am just concerned about the logistics of getting to the ferry and it's location. Do you have anymore info? We are on the October 1 cruise.

Edited: 2:10 am, September 04, 2012
Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

Hi

On "your" side of the Gironde there is the Dune du Pilat highest sand dune in Europe a challenge to climb and great views and as you already know Bordeaux . ROYAN fabulous cosmopolitan place great shops beach etc .Even if you are NOT a Zoo person (we aren't) consider the zoo its one of those rehabilitation types and fabulous you can easily spend the whole day there. Enjoy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

Rumblebum: This thread died in September 2012. Why did you dig it up?

nmj
wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

We are actually going back to Le Verdon in May! So am looking for advice on somewhere to go from Le Verdon, and how to get there. Did Bordeaux last time, so considering Royan this time? Is there any better transportation from port now I wonder?

Would appreciate any more input.

Nerys

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?

do they take caravans on this ferry please

Reply to: Le Verdon by ferry to Royan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Royan