We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to break our journey?

preston
1 post
Save Topic
Where to break our journey?

We are going to a wedding in September and will be driving down from Calais on the Saturday before to stay in a hotel near Royan which we've booked for a week, my problem is my little boy aged 2 and mum will be with me and my husband arrives by plane on the Thursday, he thinks we should break the journey but I'm not sure where to stop and I do like things to be booked before we leave . Can anyone help please? Even if it was a holiday in type place, so long as its safe for us and breaks the journey around the half way mark. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to break our journey?

Covered most of this route last month.

Suggest use the toll roads so easy and plenty of places to stop about each 20km and some have fuel and somewhere to buy food (not cheap).

Dont say what time you are at Calais but suggest you go across to Rouen ( avoid going via Paris)and just follow tomtom around it and it all went very well.

Goes around 500 miles on map and around 8 hours.

If time alows head to Liseax area as it lovely and google for something suitable and that will leave you a nice easy run down to Royan the next day.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to break our journey?

I agree with Cabby, stay north of Paris and head towards Rouen. Then the A402 will take you south. Just north of Le Mans is the town of Alencon which looks to be about half way. When we have stopped going south, we have always booked an Ibis Hotel and you will find one in Alencon. They are generally good value, clean and the food is reasonable. The website is here

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to break our journey?

That is the E402 also known as A28 which is the road I was aying to follow all the way from Rouen

Birmingham uk
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to break our journey?

We are at present in Royan and broke our journey at Rouen. We stopped the night in an etap in the south of the city in a place called Petit Quevilly. The hotel was fine but the area was a bit suspect so i wouldnt recommend it. If you could find a place just after Rouen you arelooking at a 2and a half hour drive from Calais and then a 6ish hour drive to Royan. I agree with the other posters, avoid the paris route.

Swansea
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to break our journey?

We made this journey last year with two little ones aged 3 and 2. We stopped overnight in a lovely hotel called Hotel Alizea, Saint-Saturnin, which is J7, just off the motorway, Le Mans-Nord. So easy to find. I had booked it in advance with Active Hotels.com who were great. Large comfy beds, a cot and very clean! Breakfasts are def. worth paying for too! Only mistake we made was eating at Buffalo Grill which was a short walk down the road. The hotel menu looked lovely and no more expensive than BG. We would def. stay here again. Have to admit that it's hard going with just 1 nights stopover......especially if you're potty training!!

6. Re: Where to break our journey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Royan
Recent Conversations