We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice seaside town from Poitiers

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
nice seaside town from Poitiers

We are flying to Poitiers arriving 21.30 and fly back 10 days later. Thinking we might spend a couple of days in Poitiers and then head for a nice town on the coast. Will probably hire a car or may go by train. Don't want to go too far and wondering what pretty or interesting might be worth staying in? Also how long would it be worth staying in Poitiers?

Would welcome any help.

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice seaside town from Poitiers

The ONLY places I can suggest are La Rochelle, Royan and La Palmyre, but there are many options....

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice seaside town from Poitiers

A couple of days in Poitiers, a very interesting town, would be perfect. Then I'd head for La Rochelle for a few days. From there you can go out to the Ile de Ré, spend time at the beach at Chatellaion-la-Plage, visit Saintes and Royan, and venture into cognac territory.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice seaside town from Poitiers

Thanks For the suggestions - will have a look at La Rochelle. Spent a day there 20 years ago when I was camping nearby and really liked it. Couldn't remember how big it was but had wondered if it would be too big and busy now. Thanks

Minard
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice seaside town from Poitiers

St Gilles croix de vie is pretty, also Sables D'Olonne - I ve stayed in Bretignolles Sur mer - v small but lovely beaches and quiet. 2 hours from Poitiers - lovely cycle/ walking paths along the coast.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice seaside town from Poitiers

Thanks very much for responding. Is Sables D'Olonne pretty? The only pictures I have seen show high rise blocks so hadnt been too sure about it. How big is it? I don't know anyone who has been so would really welcome any more information.

Many thanks

6. Re: nice seaside town from Poitiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, July 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Charente-Maritime
More Charente-Maritime Topics