We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

Hi, I was pretty psyched to book Emerald Bay early and plan for next's years trip.

But I keep seeing reports of wind and red flags. Can anyone give me an accurate viewpoint on this? We just got back from Sandals Whitehouse and high winds ruined our beach time for the majority of our trip. I don't want to have the same thing happen again.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

I feel your pain! Trust me! It really does suck, but the good news is you can greatly minimize this problem by not only choosing what month to go, but also which side of an island to stay on.

For the calmest winds, I would go sometime between June and Sept. Barring a (fairly rare) tropical storm/hurricane, those months usually have the calmest weather, the occastional 30 minutes afternoon t-storm notwithstanding.

In the future, I would also book something on the leeward shore, as strong winds usually are out of the east as they have been the past week.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

Time of year is the key, but wind can pick up at times, showers pass through, etc.. It's an island so most things blow over in a day or so. Emerald Bay doesn't have any barrier island protection so wind can be a little more and waves/water can have more chop that something located in the harbor area.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

Thanks much for your response!

Level Contributor
121 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

We are at the Sandals now since Fri and it has been very windy the whole timw with the red flag out each day.

5. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:25 pm, May 14, 2014
Wheeling, WV
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

Weather is so unpredictable, really. We were at SEB 5/8 - 5/15 last year and had few, if any, red flag days and perfect weather.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

I am sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting me know. I hope it's not ruining your trip. That happened to us in Sandals Whitehouse 3 weeks ago. Kills the experience. Are the locals saying, "it's never like this?" Can you swim at all?

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

If there's a red flag on the beach, then you're only alternative are the swimming pools. We had a great time yesterday afternoon after the rain came at lunch time (with a red flag all day). Most people headed back to their rooms, but going from the heated water areas to the cool water in the main pool was a lot of fun, the pool bar was still open, and the guests that didn't go back to their rooms were some of the friendliest people we've met at the resort. If you're going to do water sports or swimming in the ocean, then June or July is a much better bet. We were in the Exumas 3 years ago, and the first 3 weeks of May were mostly windy then as well, just as they have been this year.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

Thanks.... I grew up in Tampa and go to Sanibel all the time. So I'm a beach snob! I like to be in the water. Appreciate it.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Windy is Sandals Emerald Bay the end of April/Early May?

I should point out that wouldn't hesitate to go earlier in the spring AS LONG AS I am staying somewhere on a south or west shore (leeward) or at the very least, can easily drive over there.