We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October travel in great exuma.

Kiel, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
October travel in great exuma.

I will be traveling in the first week in October to tar bay. I would like to know how the weather is temp wise. I have been to long island and cat island before in may how does it compare? I would like to know if the fall season is heavily traveled here as far as car rental/boat rental is. I have read many posts on the beaches there and are they like the salt flats on long island or is it more like cat island. The sandbars are they like small cays or are they like sandbars at low tide. Are the uninhabited cays only gotten to by boat? Thanks

exuma
Level Contributor
298 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October travel in great exuma.

October weather is usually HOT and Humid. At a guess around 90.

Exuma is more developed than Cat and Long Island, more locals, more restaurants and more beaches. There are many beautiful small bays and in October, which is considered out of season, will be empty, so yours will be the only footprints.There are also beaches that at low tide become sand bars.

Exuma also has Elizabeth Harbour, a large area almost completely surrounded by land and therefore sheltered from the winds and the ocean.

As regards your last sentence "Are the uninhabited islands only accessible by boat" Can't think of any other way unless you swim or have your wn submarine!!

Have a great vacation.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October travel in great exuma.

The unihabited islands are accessible by seaplane, if you are so endowed, like David Copperfield in the new Bahamas commercial on TV :-)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October travel in great exuma.

You can kayak to Moriah Harbour Cay. We did and it was awesome! You can also take the water taxi to Stocking Island and walk south away from the hotel and Chat n Chill. You can get to the sandbars and other small cays around Elizabeth Harbour with a rented boat from Minns. The west side of Great Exuma has mangroves and bonefishing flats like Long Island does but there aren't many roads on that side of the island. Catch a Fire and the surrounding neighborhood are on that side but we didn't spend any time there. The main road doesn't allow for views of the flats like it does on Long Island. We really loved our week on Great Exuma. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Long Island is our favorite though.

The cays that Tigervette mentioned are well to the north of Great Exuma but if you take one of the cays tours you will pass by Musha Cay.

Edited: 4:17 pm, August 23, 2013
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October travel in great exuma.

actually there was some nice magroves around where we were staying in the south (Hartswell).

Kiel, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October travel in great exuma.

thanks for all the good info. we are counting the days for our next adventure in the outer islands.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: October travel in great exuma.

Great photos here to give you an idea :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147429-i786-k6701…

Gonna say Oct. temps are more mid-80s - and water low 80s - a very nice time to come :)

Have a Great Trip!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: October travel in great exuma.

Tigervette - are you referring to the the Superbowl "Behold" commercial (which was AWESOME!) - or another one...? Thnx :)

Kiel, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October travel in great exuma.

I purchased an explorer chart book. It shows the island and cays in great detail. Does anyone know how much they charge. We also would like to see the pigs any one know how that works ?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: October travel in great exuma.

I was referring to the recent adverisment by the Bahamas Govt. with Copperfield stepping out of his seaplane. Not sure if it was run during the Superbowl. Most likely there was only one.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October travel in great exuma.

gingus, you have to take a Cays Tour with one of several operators out of the north of Great Exuma. They take you all the way up to Big Major Spot where the pigs live as well as several other tourist attractions: Staniel Cay Yacht Club, Thunderball Grotto, Compass Cay nurse sharks, etc.

I suggest Sugar Adventure Tours

Edited: 1:58 pm, August 29, 2013