We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors

Reading...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visitors

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary and my 50th Birthday with a stay March 12-18. We are renting a house opposite Bonefish Cay. We really would like to keep our expenses down and I am wondering if you are able to bring your own dry goods (cereal, etc) and meats (frozen) with you? We plan on having dinner out a night or two but would rather spend our time (and money if needed) exploring. We LOVE the beach and are looking to find a sandbar that we can just spend the day on. Any suggestions? We are renting a car for the entire week. Would definitely like to do some snorkeling too. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on "tours" but if there is one that is really worth it I would consider it.

Any recommendations and advise are GREATLY appreciated!!!

17 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors

My wife and I do rent our home on the island and many guests choose to bring food down. To be honest when we went down in the summer for 2 weeks we packed a frozen cooler of meat. The quality of some meats just doesn't compare to what we are accustom to. Some of my guests have even packed checked luggage with snacks and cereals as prices for some goods are very high.(7$ for a bag of chips) Just use a collapsible bag so on the way home you can fit it all in 1 bag.

As for tours 4C's through is a very reasonably priced tour that my guests have tended to enjoy. The full day tour gives a great sampler of what the Exumas are all about.

Enjoy your trip

Houston
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors

I have grocery prices I can email you (from 1/16) if you want. It is an island so everything will cost more. Just like commercials say: prices higher in Hawaii and Alaska!

We usually only bring food items when we are down for a longer stay than a week. But I would suggest bulk items like peanut butter, salad dressing, suntan lotion, bug spray, etc. If bringing frozen meat I would also suggest putting some cheese in. I wouldn't suggest chips as they won't travel well, but cereals, crackers, pasta as good ideas.

To be honest, the extra luggage weight, space and possible waste of leaving food behind might cost more than just buying local.

The tour is usually the highlight and I would suggest making that part of your present! I like Exuma Cays Adventures and Island Boy Adventures for tours.

Our favorite sandbar is off Man of War.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors

Hi....

If you scroll down a few there is a topic with info in bringing frozen food as well as dry items.

I do pack frozen meats for my stay.

This year we did bring things like instant oatmeal... nuts..dry seasoning etc.

Have fun planning... your gonna love Exuma.

Edited: 1:51 pm, January 17, 2017
Reading...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors

👍🏻

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitors

For a sandbar, look at google maps satellite, follow the highway all the way north-west past Rolleville to the end where it curves. On the left is a vast white area - this is a huge sandbar that emerges during low tide and you can park on the side of the road and walk out. Take a good look at the map before you leave to drive there as there are a couple of turns among the homes to get there.

I also highly recommend Cocoplum beach, which has a huge area of very shallow water and some sandbars emerge at low tide. You can walk out very far and the water is stunning Caribbean blue. And find a ton of sand dollars. To get to Cocoplum, look at google maps for Steventon. Follow the highway to the NW (slightly yellowish on the map). You'll see a perfectly straight road that is a right turn from the highway - that's the unpaved road to Cocoplum and you can see the light colored water at it's end. This is one of my favorites on Exuma.

You could do both on a day trip with a picnic lunch. Perfect.

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitors

We packed bacon, steaks, cheese, crackers, granola bars, pasta salad kits. It really helped us save money on food. Also we went to Trannys hair salon and bought fish & lobster. The next time we go I am packing a lot more. A box of crackers is $8 ouch.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visitors

We are going March 9 - 18 at bonefish cay..renting a hjouse too ..First timers ... 3 couples ... Take care !!! Ron

Reading...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visitors

We are staying at Rum Runners. So looking forward to getting out of this cold weather! Have fun!!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Visitors

How did you pack your frozen meat? Was it in a regular cooler with dry ice?

Houston
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Visitors

We have brought packaged meat, frozen and wrapped in foil. It was inside a Yeti softside and packed inside a checked suitcase (with no additional ice or freezer blocks or anything). We come from Houston and it has arrived VERY frozen still.

Reply to: First Time Visitors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted