We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

NOLA
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

Hello all,

Wife and I just returned from a quick 10 day trip to St John (7 nights) and St Thomas (2 nights). Below are just some highlights to share:

- Amalie Rent a Car: We have rented on St John and have rented from other St Thomas rental companies. Amalie (and Amy!) by far the best experience. Brand new jeeps (<2k miles), perfect condition, flawless logistics for picking up and dropping off, and a competitive price. We are now loyal to Amalie on return trips.

- Coconut Breeze Villa Coral Bay: We normally stay on the Cruz Bay side and enjoy walking to restaurants, etc in the evenings. Decided to change things up this trip and rented Coconut Breeze through Destination St John. The house was fantastic, accurately described in the pictures online plus more (kitchen looked to be recently updated with stainless steel appliances). Was a little nervous about having only A/C in the bedrooms....never an issue. Was a little nervous about being "away" from it all....never an issue. 3 mins down the hill to Coral Bay, 15 mins to Maho, 20-25 mins to Cruz easily. We ate some meals in, but found there to be plenty of good spots to eat in Coral Bay (my wife is gluten free vegetarian.....and never had an issue). The view from the villa was AWESOME. We would purposely end out beach days early to just go back and sit by the pool and hang out. The only downside I can think of is the hill driving up to the villa. The first 2 to 3 times, if not familiar is steep, and in some places rocky. But by the 3rd time, you are a pro and was no longer an issue. Safety was never a concern. I think we are Coral Bay converts now.....

ResidenSea Day Chart to BVIs: Booked the day charter through Grande Bay to use their beautiful 35 foot scout boat. Trip was highlight of our stay. Captain Mason was great. Started from Cruz bay with a quick North Shore tour, then off to clear BVI customs. Then on to The Caves and The Aquarium for some snorkeling. Lunch was a the Pirate's Bight followed by a quick stop on Sand Spit to "check the box". Ended the day at Jost for drinks. Again, beautiful boat, great Captain, and we did pretty much everything we proposed on our agenda for the day. As we went from place to place and comparing boats, you could easily tell the ResidenSea was very well maintained and a step above the rest.

Beaches - We typically like to go to beaches mid morning and snorkel and have lunch. We tried some different ones this trip and returned to some favorites. Quick listing: Cinnamon Bay snorkel around America Point, Haulover Bay (great snorkeling out to the left), Waterlemon Cay, Reef Bay, Solomon Bay, and our favorite Dennis Bay

Restaurants - We loved Sweet Plantations. Ate there twice on the trip, the last night we ate there was their last night open for for the season. Some of the best food on the island in my opinion.

St Thomas - Spent last 2 days on St Thomas at the Ritz. We typically do this as "downtime" as we are normally exhausted from snorkeling and hiking on St John. Also enjoy their water sports program that is included (free sail boat rentals, etc).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

We stayed at Coconut Breeze two years ago with family and loved it. So glad you did too. The views there have spoiled me completely! And I agree with you about Sweet Plantains, really special.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

Is Sweet Plantains open in the afternoon? We've been by there several times and it never looks open to me. I would at least like to stop for a drink and to check things out. I thought perhaps it was only open for dinner?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

Thanks for the TR, fun stuff.

Cheers, RickG

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

Thanks for the report - but I'm sad to hear Sweet Plantains is now closed for the season, was hoping to eat there in a couple weeks :-( I just love that place.

5. Re: Quick 10 Day Trip Report - The Highlights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 26, 2015