We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slice of Life

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Slice of Life

Hey all, we just returned from a wonderful week at Slice of Life on Coral Bay, St. John, USVI. I highly recommend it for a couple looking for a comfortable, well built place to stay. Situated on a hillside with breezes most of the time, you see the sun rise each morning, and are serenaded to sleep by the birds and other island animals each night. The host, Fitz, is a great guy. He is a very quiet and soft spoken, helpful guy who knows his way around the island. Our favorite snorkel and relax beaches were on the south side, but to be fair, there was high surf on the north side and it was not good visibility because of it. Most everything is twice the price from home, and while I don't want to short change the grocers, I would suggest bringing what you can in your luggage. We could have brought coffee, granola bars, nuts, crackers, etc, with us to reduce our grocery bill. Dining out is costly, too, however, the food is great, the atmosphere is relaxing, and the fact is-you aren't cooking. We dined at Shipwreck, Skinny Legs, Concordia, and Aqua Bistro on the Coral Bay side. When in Cruz, we stopped at the Deli in Mongoose Junction for awesome sandwiches to take with us as we explored 20 on the north side. This island is quiet, the residents are hard working, and the environment is high priority (water conservation, etc). While we were familiar with the motto "If its yellow, let it mellow", it took a day or so to get used to the "No paper in the toilet" rule.

It was our first visit to any of the virgin islands, and we will definitely be back.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slice of Life

I've been curious about this one - looks like a very good deal, even in high season.

Where exactly is it located?

I gather that it is a lower duplex unit in the owner's home? Did it feel private?

Was it comfortable without a/c?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slice of Life

It sounded like a very nice trip, although the high surf. I tips on bringing coffee and some other food is a great idea too!

It stinks to come back to such cold March weather. :( We need some warmth.

I bet you are already planning your next visit and thanks for sharing.

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slice of Life

Hi Dreamshark and Tim!

If you are familiar with the east end of the island, where 107 and 108 intersect, it is up 108, then onto a common "driveway". The home overlooks Hurricane Hole and is, as you suspected, the main level of a duplex. It was very comfortable without A/C (we were never warm inside, and in fact, I used a sweater a couple of evenings) as the breeze blows right thru from Hurricane Hole to the mountain out back. There are ceiling fans as well.

It did feel private; however, there are other homes below Slice of Life, and one above it. There weren't any privacy issues with the owner's location, but I will admit to closing the windows in the bathroom a time or two (sounds carry, you know what I mean...). Fitz is finishing a studio unit behind Slice of Life, so there will be a common deck; however, I don't see how the two guests would cross paths unless it is in the driveway (the rear unit will face the mountain).

Fitz told us he keeps the price low so he keeps the calendar filled. He is a hard working dude who volunteers in the community and is paying off his mortgage. He took us diving one morning he didn't have to be a work :)

We will definetly be back, and I suspect we will rent both units next time, and bring the (adult) kids to stay in one unit, with us in the other.

I think it is worth checking out!

Stephanie

Edited: 6:32 pm, March 19, 2013
4. Re: Slice of Life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 21, 2014