We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

legit villas

Minnesota
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
legit villas

Saw a nice villa thats affordable but there are no reviews and looks new to being rented. I"m scared, i've heard and read some horror stories. So does anybody know if all the places listed on here are infact real and i dont have to worry about being scammed.

thanks

Mahiya - Virgin Magic Charters
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Kiote Sails Private Charters
Reef 2 Peak
Water Sports, Gear Rentals, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Pirate Girl Charters
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: legit villas

I have never heard of a fake villa on STJ. If a villa is new, there may not be any reviews.

Make sure you check other sites for reviews, as a question here with the name of the Villa in the subject; many people don't write reviews but have discussed here in a post.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: legit villas

Where did you see the villa listed? Tripadvisor, VRBO or Homeaway.com?

We reserved a villa from Homeaway that is new and not yet discussed here on Tripadvisor (except for me mentioning it). It's not listed with a management company I think because the owners have a caretaker's cottage on site. Granted, I feel a little nervous, but the owners sound quite real on the phone and there were some excellent reviews on the website. What else can we do?

What horror stories are you talking about? Specifically on St. John and discussed on Tripadvisor?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: legit villas

Throw us a link and you'll get specific feedback!

There are new villas coming on the market, and a lot that have come on in the last year or two. There are also more villas coming up on VRBO. Everything changes. The last hard number I heard for the number of villas that are renting was 630 and that is old data.

Anyone have an update on the total number of villas renting on STJ?

Cheers, RickG

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: legit villas

Damgoldy, I don't want to hijack your thread here but I'm going to post the link to the newer villa we have reserved. Does anyone have info or comments? The villa's name is Lunazul in Coral Bay. Thanks.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p327724

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
Minnesota
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: legit villas

thanks all for comments. I dont think i've seen horror stories about st john. I was researching belize, bermuda, st thomas cayman islands so i cant remember where the horror stories were that i saw. I looked up the place on flipkey as well they seem to verify things and people would be suprised if something turned out to be a scam , so i'm thinking all should be welll. kathyva, nice place please right a review when you get back. the place i was looking at however was titled st john private villa with pool.

thanks again all for your time.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: legit villas

I just read a post about someone getting scammed into wiring money. Just yesterday for a villa on STJ. This was the first time I have ever heard of that!

The villa existed and is rented by the owner but someone hacked into their email and changed the contact info on Flipkey. The scammer discussed the villa and asked for the money to be wired.

The owner had no knowledge of this.

NEVER WIRE MONEY to anyone!

The vast majority of villa owners or managers will ask for payment by Check or Credit Card.

Never go off information from just one site, always do a search on the villa itself and see what else comes up.

VRBO has phone numbers, FlipKey does not. Check to see if the house is on VRBO.

Ask about the villa on forums such as there.

A

Minnesota
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: legit villas

thanks much

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: legit villas

We rented a house as well as a villa the last three years and never had a problem. Just make sure you check reviews.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: legit villas

Hi. Just an aside. We rented 2 villas in St. John 2 winters ago. The first one, poi pu looked great from the reviews &pictures. It was above Chocolate Hole. The villa was quite tired, but OK for the two of us until the electricity went out & the owners would NOT give us credit for the 48 hours we were without electricity & consequently, hot water. Although Poi Pu is still listed on many different websites, I would not recommend it. Also, 2 winters ago, there was a lot of abandoned construction right in Chocolate Hole & it ruined the scenery & the view.

We later stayed at Iola near Coral Bay & were quite pleased, except they did not have a deck looking off into the view.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: legit villas

Twoat- Just a comment about the no power thing. Power outages on STJ are extremely common and unavoidable.

I have never rented a villa that did not state in the contract that the owner or management company has no responsibility of there is a power outage.

Get answers to your questions about Coral Bay