We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Which Brusio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Hi

We have a very ambitious day planned for one day in July and would love some help.

We hope to arrive at Tirano station on an 8:50am train and get up to Brusio asap. Wondering if we could catch a bus, train or whether it would be better (or even possible) to get a taxi? Understand the next train would not be until 9:50am but don't really want to wait that long. We want to spend a couple of hours in Brusio since I have an ancestor from there. After that would like to catch a train to Poschiavo, spend about an hour there and then catch a train up to St Moritz, just in time to get on the 14:45 Bernina Express and come back down to Tirano in time for the evening meal.

Is it easy to get a ticket for the train from Brusio to Poschiavo and then the one to St Moritz or do you have to pre book them? Would they be separate tickets or can you break your journey for an hour?

Also are there any places to buy a meal at Brusio? Or should we wait until we get to Poschiavo?

Thanks for any help

5 replies to this topic
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Life is not that complicated! Have a look at maps.google.com, this places are minutes from each other.

If you train is ontime in Tirano, I think you can make it to the 08.50 h train up-valley, its a small station and usually they wait. if not, there should be taxis or have the restaurant at the station call one. But taxis are expensive here.

By train, it takes you 19 minuts from Tirano to Brusio, there you can get off and spend one or two hours, as the train continues to Poschiavo on the same line and takes 22 minutes.

As for ticket, I would suggest you buy a return ticket from Tirano to St. Moritz and hop on and off. There is one train each hour in this direction.

For your return, just take any train on that line, it does not have to be the *express" - they all travel on the same track, so the same sights. For "normal" trains, you just step in and look for an empty seat, no reservation needed, just the "express" needs reservation (extra cost).

However this is a long day sitting in trains without really experiencing anything and without having really seen the area.

There are a couple restaurants in Brusio, but not all of them very central (some Agrotourism), but you arrive early for lunch, so I would suggest you either have an early lunch in Poschiavo (there is e.g. a nice basic restaurant right at the train station serving fresh cooked Pizzoccheri, a local speciality of buckwheat pasta with vegetables and cheese) or you have a late lunch in St. Moritz, where there is a terrace restaurant not far froim the station, along the lake. So you would at least have some relax as you will not have a lot of time in St. Moritz. This would probably be a better solution.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Thank you Engadiner!

Glad to hear that it should be a relatively straight forward thing to travel that day, and especially to hear that we might be able to hop off and on. We may be really jet lagged so trying to prepare every detail for that day.

Sounds like great advise about the restaurants - the Pizzoccheri has my mouth watering now!

Will post how we went after the trip.

Pam B

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Though you'd like to see my pictures arouns Brusio.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=22097570@N05&q=brusio

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Thank you "mostlybytrain". The place is so beautiful!!! It must have been a very sad thing for my ancestor to leave that place. I understand that there was a bit of a famine at the time though. I wish I could find out just which house they lived in! The houses look really impressive to me! I am very much looking forward to having a walk around the town and imagining what life must have been like back in the early to mid 1800s.

Thanks again

Pam B

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo

Send me a PM with the name of your anchestors and I shall try to find out which house it was.

Reply to: how to get to Brusio from Tirano then to Poschiavo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brusio