We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena for a Month next summer....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Siena for a Month next summer....

I'm planning on staying in Siena for a month next summer. As you all know, there are hundreds of hilltop towns, charming and beautiful in their own right. Any suggestions on places I might start looking? Requirements are within walking distance (or short bike ride) to a small town, friendly neighbors and beautiful views (I know that helps right?)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

It sounds like you are trying to do this without a car. Public transportation in Tuscany is not set up for touristic travel, but rather to get Italian citizens to and from work and school. I'd also suggest one more thing to your add to your list of "wants." A pool.....the area around Siena is HOT in the summer.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

Thanks for the tip on the pool. And yes, I will have a car.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

Thanks for the tip on the pool. And yes, I will have a car. I'm planning on travel mid-May to mid-June.

Edited: 10:55 pm, August 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

Way better time to travel!

You might want to try a couple of different spots. We love this place. About 25 miles from Siena. It's an absolutely gorgeous agriturismo with self-catering.

http://www.foresteria.it/eng/index.php

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

traveler,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

I'm sure you've thought this through well in advance and have good reasons for wanting to spend a month (which is a fairly long time) in one place, especially if that place is pretty small, which most of the towns around here are. You may already speak Italian but, if you don't, do please start learning the language seriously and start learning now for that's the only way to get to know your neighbours, though you're looking at staying in the countryside rather than in a village? It's easier to meet people if you stay in town and you'll find you become a part of the local community more if you're actually in the village. If you don't have a head for languages and fear you may not be able to say much by the time you get here, perhaps consider a village where there is an established expat community - Montisi is one that immediately springs to mind and they're a very friendly lot with some well integrated Americans and Brits who welcome visitors. Coming mid-May for a month, you may not need that pool for it's often not swimming weather until 2nd or 3rd week of June. Beautiful views come with the territory and are fortunately one of the few things in life (along with horrendous taxes) that are guaranteed around here.

7. Re: Siena for a Month next summer....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Province of Siena