We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Christmas?

Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
452 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
White Christmas?

My wife and I are in the early phases of planning a trip to North America over the Christmas/New Year period at the end of 2013.

For us Aussies, the idea of a 'White Christmas' seems very romantic and exotic, as we normally experience the hottest time of year around Christmas - our kids have their 6 week summer vacation from late December all the way through January. I've lived in Chicago and Montreal as a kid, so I have some fond memories of the Christmas season in cold places, but my wife has never experienced anything like this...

The plan for this trip is for us be in NYC for New Year's Eve, but to actually spend Christmas somewhere it is likely to be snowing, perhaps somewhere like the Catskills. We'd be looking to be somewhere for Christmas where they do a nice lunch or dinner and we'd have some company from locals or other travelers.

I'd be interested in any comments on whether the Catskills might be a suitable candidate, as per our requirements stated above.

Cheers,

Dom

Edited: 8:41 am, February 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Christmas?

It really will be luck as to whether there will be snow at Christmas. This year, it snowed on Christmas, so we had a White Christmas, but it hadn't been looking that way. Generally, the further north you go, the more likely it will be that you have a White Christmas. Stowe, VT or Lake Placid, NY would be two of my suggestions.

In the Catskills, the Mohonk Mountain House might be a nice place to spend Christmas, with lots of activities and nice meals. Another option would be to head to one of the ski resorts -- Hunter Mountain in the Catskills will be making snow for the skiers, so even if there is no natural stuff, you will at least be able to see some snow!

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
2. Re: White Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Catskill Region