We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

Hello,

Will be driving from NY to Catskill region either on 22nd or 29th Sep to view the foliage. Was interested in knowing the most scenic route I can take for that time and which date would be better.

Thanks friends

DC

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

hi friends...any suggestions?

staten island
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

Where is your starting point? NYC? You can go tNew Jersey and take route 17 north to I- 87 or take the GWB to the Palisades to 17, then 87. Another scenic alternative is to go along the Hudson River (route 9). Catch 87 after crossing over the Newburgh Beacon Bridge.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

My guess at the best date is the 29th.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

interesting, I was leaning towards the 29th as well..might take the hudson river route 9. thank you.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

No problem. Check on this website starting tomorrow for the fall foliage report- …iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

Just be aware route 9 is going to be slow going in parts (lots of traffic lights/traffic). But if you go that way, I would drive through Rhinebeck (maybe stop there to eat depending on your timing) and go across the Rhinecliff Bridge. There's also a short walk called Ferncliff Firetower close to Rhinebeck that offers some great views of the river (although, not sure how much color there will be then). If you are going along Route 9 there are some other nice stops further north like the Vanderbilt Mansion and Mills Mansion where you could go for a walk and see some nice river views.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

Thanks so much for your help so far.

I'll be in new jersey on Sep/29. My main interest for the Catskill day trip is fall foliage viewing without tiring out the family in doing hikes / unplanned drives. So, on reaching Catskill town, could you please suggest which loop to take:

1. Catskill --> RT23 to Prattsville --> back on RT23A stopping at Katerskill falls (is it safe to hike up to this waterfall and back?)

OR

1. Catskill --> RT23 to Prattsville --> 23A to Lexington --> RT42 to Shandaken --> RT28 to Ashokan Reservoir.

I'm looking for the the better fall foliage viewing experience in that region so open to any alternate routes instead of the ones above.

Your suggestions would be most appreciated!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

and ofcourse any must-see spots along these routes where we have-to stop...lol :)

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

or take the taconic state parkway and then head over 84 (west) to the thruway. It might be a little early for fall foliage. Typically peak isn't until mid october for the hudson valley region, but who knows with the lack of rain this year. Either way its still lovely. If you have a chance visit Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz. You can pay for a day pass. There are awesome views from there. Catch a bite to eat and have a brew at The Gilded Otter in New Paltz if you have time. If you end up in Rhinebeck visit Grand Crue (beer and cheese shop).

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foliage day trip to Catskills in late Sep'12

I probably wouldn't go as far north as 23. I'm not sure where you are coming from, so don't know your best route up north. If you just want the fastest way, take 1-87. If you want something a little more scenic, try the Taconic and cut over to Rhinebeck. Nice place to have lunch and stretch your legs. From there go across the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge and pick up 28. Drive by Ashokan Reservoir and take a walk there (one of the roads that crosses the reservoir is now closed to traffic and open to pedestrians - it's really nice views). Continue on and take 214 up to 23a, coming through Hunter/Tannersville/Haines Fall area. This will take you by Kaaterskill Falls, it's a short walk to the base of the falls. Unless you are an experienced hiker (and even if you are), it's not recommended to scramble any further than that (there are injuries/deaths nearly every year from people falling near the falls). Take 32a/32 back to I-87 through Saugerties. You could eat in Saugerties or get off at New Paltz to eat.

Depending on your time/interests, you could also stop at Hunter Mountain. They have an Octoberfest festival that weekend and you can ride the chairlift up to the top.

Get answers to your questions about Catskill Region