We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a taverna at the dock?

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a taverna at the dock?

Hello,

We're planning on visiting Delos for the day sometime this week. Having looked at other topics in the forum and at the photographs on Google Earth, I've come to the conclusion that the terrain's going to be too difficult for me. I'm happy enough to sit somewhere and read a book while the other half's off exploring, so is there somewhere for me to sit in the shade and get coffee and coke for a couple of hours?

Thanks,

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

There are no tavernas on Delos. Actually the terrain is fairly flat in most of the archeological site, so if you stick to the area around the sacred lake and museum, it won't be hard going. It isn't required to follow the route shown on the map, so you can walk to the theatre area from the docks, and double back if you wish. You won't want to go up Mt Kynthos, though.

If you aren't up to even that, suggest you bring a snack, something to drink, and a good book. There is a small cafeteria in the museum, but I don't think I would like to sit there very long.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

Here is to give you an idea of what Delos is like:

http://tinyurl.com/bhf8ad

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

Would seem to me to be a shame to pay for the ferry to Delos, plus admission to the archaeological grounds, only to spend your time there just sitting and having a coffee. Why not stay on Mykonos and do that, and join up with your other half after her Delos tour? The waterfront near the Delos boat pier is lined with tavernas with shaded terraces, so that would be a perfect spot for you to wait.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

donnyb, by your logic I should just wait at home to read and drink coffee while she goes on holiday for a fortnight. Very unhelpful.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

Hi Bill,

I don't think that's what Donny meant at all! From your OP it is difficult to tell how mobile you are, and he was making a sensible suggestion.

I agree it would be pointless to pay for the excursion boat and entry fee to Delos (you can't get off the pier without paying) if you don't intend to tour at least part of the site. Delos has very little shade, and it would be hot and uncomfortable waiting there. The museum is right at the back of the main site, so you will have to walk a bit over flat ground to get there. If all you want to do is sit and read a book it would be much better to find a cafe on Mykonos where you can sit in the shade and have a cool drink.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

That wasn't what I meant at all.

In May I met several couples and even one family group who, in each case, had one member who didn't want to go to Delos and instead waited for their other half or the rest of their family from somewhere near the boat pier. This solution has worked for others and that's why I suggested it.

Sorry to hear the idea doesn't float your boat, Bill M, but I still stand by my suggestion and think it's a useful one.

7. Re: Is there a taverna at the dock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, July 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Delos