We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delos for the day from Mykonos

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delos for the day from Mykonos

Hello!

I will be in Mykonos for a few days in May, and I would like to spend some time on Delos. I have the impression that I will be able to walk around at my own leisure on Delos, that it is not a big island and although it is uninhabited with some unbelievable ancient ruins, people can walk around on their own taking it all in. Is this true?

Also, I am wondering what the cost would be for me to ferry over there and back, approximately.

My idea is that I can pack myself a picnic lunch and ferry over there early in the day, spend the day hiking around and taking in the ancient ruins, and then ferry back to Mykonos in the late afternoon.

Would appreciate any feedback thanks!

Brenda

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

I've been there seven times, all but one of which was in May or early June. The weather has almost always been warm and sunny, sometimes hot. Perfect weather for doing a lot of walking.

Last May there was unusual weather across the Cyclades, with a number of windy, cloudy & cool days as well as a few heavy rainfalls and thunderstorms, including the day we left Mykonos. Overall, though, the weather was great.

We've also been to Naxos, Paros, Ios, Amorgos, Santorini, Milos, Folegandros and Sifnos in the Cyclades and have had generally great weather, with the odd off day.

Lots of wildflowers in the Cyclades in May, and lots of birds -- which we heard everywhere, but rarely saw, unfortunately.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,955 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

In April \ May Naxos is a heaven for both exploring the nature as such, and especially for birdwatching. Many different species are breeding in the lake next to the Naxos airport - you can get an idea from many of the photos in this album:

http://tinyurl.com/l962v4

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

Greek-traveller, your pictures are great - I can't wait to get there myself to explore the nature! Can I ask, where in Naxo's more specifically did you see all those wonderful birds? Or do you have any recommendations for birdwatching in Santorini, Naxos, or Mykonos?

Thanks for your posts!

Brenda

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,955 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

The photos shown are from a lake next to Naxos Airport. You can see a small part of it in this photo:

http://tinyurl.com/3cfxmw9

Most birds are found in the breeding season (spring and early summer), but herons and some other species are there as long as the lake is there.

Sorry - can't help with anything similar on Santorini nor on Mykonos.

Edited: 5:35 am, April 06, 2012
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

In May, we have seen egrets and other birds at the lake greek-traveller described near the airport, as well as at the lagoons near the end of St George's beach on the other side of the highway. (The main road from Naxos Town to Agios Prokopios and the Stelida area passes between the lake and lagoons so you can either walk along the highway to get there or, if you're staying in Naxos Town, walk along the beach until you reach the road). There are pics of the birds, lagoons and the marsh near the airport in my online album here: www.tinyurl.com/Naxoslagoons

Apart from the island's mascot pelicans, which can be spotted at several different parts of Mykonos Town, I have never seen many birds on Mykonos unless you count seagulls, pigeons and doves and, occasionally, ducks. I've heard plenty of small songbirds, but only had brief glimpses of them. Also can't recall seeing many birds on Santorini.

Also, just wanted to let you know I have updated my blog with four separate posts of "Visiting Delos" information and photos: http://mygreecetravelblog.com/

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

Can you please confirm if the Delos ferry runs on Mondays? Please say it does...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

Monday is the one day of the week that the excursion boats do NOT operate, unfortunately.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

Thanks again, Donnyb, I just saw your post today. I appreciate your information about the lagoons at the end of St. Georges beach, and enjoyed your pictures. Your blog site looks great! I am going to explore it quite a bit I am sure.

Forli, Italy
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

hallo

next week we'll be in Mykonos during a cruise stop. We'd like to visit Delos. From which pier do the boats/ferries to Delos leave ? thanks

20. Re: Delos for the day from Mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, January 25, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Delos