We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
One night stay

We are staying in Tuscan for a week early July and visited Elba on a day trip last year when we looked around Portoferraio for the day. We'd like to have an overnight stay (maybe two) and have been trawling through the various possibilities for accommodation.

This might be a tall order but am looking for somewhere preferably with a quiet beach where we can have a romantic stroll after dining locally. Not too busy and preferably away from touristy places and also Portoferraio so we can make the most of our limited time. Preferably around 120 euros per night. So far I have come up with L’Hotel Montemerlo which is a little over budget but might be worth the extra?

We have a hire car which we are planning to take over with us although I seem to recall somebody saying it's not ideal to drive around the island as the roads are quite narrow during tourist season. Happy to leave the car at Piombino if you think the local bus service might be a viable way to travel. Also, I don't have much of a head for heights - are the island roads quite high and winding?

Mentioned in this post
Elba Island
Elba Island
Province of Livorno, Italy
Portoferraio
Portoferraio
Elba Island, Italy
Hotel Montemerlo
Hotel Montemerlo
479 Reviews
Elba Island, Italy
Piombino
Piombino
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night stay

Oh, and one thing puzzles me .. I read you need to pay for beach towels and a deck chair on the beaches .. Do all the beaches object / charge if you take your own towel? We don't have similar charges in Scotland.

Many thanks

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night stay

Hi Sue186525 - a quiet beach in Elba in July is practically an oxymoron. We love the beach at Paolina, and it is quiet -- relatively speaking -- compared to others. However, others love it just as much as we do.

If L'Hotel Montemerlo fits most of what you want, we say go for it. The roads are the same regardless of what season it is ... they're just a whole lot more crowded during the summer. The roads are well-paved, and some can be winding ... but nothing, like, say the terrors that can inspire (or perspire one) in Greece.

Absolutely rent the car.

If you're looking for real quiet, have you considered another island in the Tuscan sea? Like, say, Capraia or Giglio?

Mentioned in this post
Elba Island
Elba Island
Hotel Montemerlo
Hotel Montemerlo
479 Reviews
Elba Island, Italy
Greece
Greece
Europe
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night stay

Thank you Artviva .. I shall certainly have a peek at Paolina .. have decided on the Hotel Gallo Nero as a base as it seems to have a good coast line, and extended our trip to two days on the island .. with car. It's taken me ages looking through Elba info but maybe Capraia or Giglio next time :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Gallo Nero
Hotel Gallo Nero
258 Reviews
Elba Island, Italy
Elba Island
Elba Island
Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night stay

Hi Sue,

Early July won't be too crowded nothing like it can be in August.

If you want to stay in a seaside village where can have a nice walk in the evening then I suggest Marina di Campo or Portoazzurro. MC has a long sandy beach whereas PA has two small beaches: one with red sand and the other with small pebbles and rocks and an incredibly clear water.

The less crowded beaches are on the west side ( Seccheto, Chiessi, Patrese, Sant'Andrea ) and on the east side ( Cavo and Rio Marina ).

Yes you have to pay for deck chairs and sun umbrellas - you must have your own towels - but only if you want to and in specified areas. Most of the beaches are free and you can sunbathe where you like.

As Artviva says the roads are not too windy unless you decide to go up to the mountains - Volterraio, Monte Capanne and Monte Perone.

Rent a car so you can change beach or village and maybe tour the island driving along the coast: it's quite normal on Elba Island

Mentioned in this post
Marina di Campo
Marina di Campo
Elba Island, Italy
Seccheto
Seccheto
Elba Island, Italy
Cavo
Cavo
Elba Island, Italy
Rio Marina
Rio Marina
Elba Island, Italy
Monte Capanne
Monte Capanne
571 Reviews
Elba Island, Italy
Elba Island
Elba Island
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night stay

Thanks Girella for your advice. I shall certainly take a trip west and look at the beaches you mention. Last year we visited Volterra on the mainland which was a bit of a scary ride but worth it for the views!

Mentioned in this post
Volterra
Volterra
Province of Pisa, Italy
Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night stay

Hotel Gallo Nero is in a very nice position and rather out of the way. It's just a small group of houses, hotels and few shops and restaurants. There is a small sandy beach but the rocks on both sides are smooth and many people put their towels down there. If you walk along the rocks on your right, looking at the sea - there's a sort of path - you get to another lovely and rather secluded beach: Cotoncello.

From SA on clear days you can easily see Corsica

The road from the main road down to Sant'Andrea is rather steep and windy but is a short way.

Bye and enjoy your stay :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Gallo Nero
Hotel Gallo Nero
258 Reviews
Elba Island, Italy
Corsica
Corsica
France
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night stay

Girella, that sounds fantastic and I would hate to miss something a stone's throw away so have Cotoncello marked on my personal map now .. We enjoy walking so sounds ideal. Many thanks,

Sue

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night stay

ps I love that oxymoron word .. sounds like a crazy person with 8 limbs :)

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night stay

Don't it just? Thanks for your thanks, Sue186525. We have noted Girella's advice, which seems invaluable.

Have a lovely, wonderful time.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night stay

Thanks Artviva ;)

Get answers to your questions about Elba Island