We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in April?

Which Adelboden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in April?

Can anyone advise on end of season skiing in Adelboden? Is there usually still enough snow to ski in early April? We have flights booked to Zurich on 3/4/2010 for a week's ski trip and love the look of Adelboden, but are also considering Saas Fee and Klosters.

Thanks,

Julia

Germany
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in April?

Closest to Zürich with relatively reliable good snow in April is Engelberg. Both Titlis and Jochpass should be fine in early April. Adelboden not. Klosters is ok, too. Saas Fee is even better (but the distance from Zürich!). Arosa is another option. If you don't mind the distance of Saas Fee you might consider St. Moritz and surroundings as well - usually excellent snow in April (and it looks good this year so far). But stay in a nice village outside St. Moritz because I am sure you won't like the look of the town if you like Adelboden's look ;-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,829 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in April?

It depends when in April and what kind of winter we have from now on...today it rained up to around 1200-1500m in the Valais. We will need some heavy snowfall between now and the end of March to guarantee good skiing anywhere except on a glacier at the end of April. The forecast is for more rain all next week on the plain, so maybe the snow is finally coming. But the real anwswer is: No one knows!!

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in April?

I have been there quiet often for Easter in the past years and the snow has been good for skiing at Englstligenalp at 2000 m in the morning's. It gets slushy later in the day.

www.adelboden.ch/de/page.cfm/Bergbahnen

Edited: 10:36 am, January 17, 2010
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,829 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in April?

My point exactly HL -- Easter is early in April. this year, 4th April. many places shut down after Easter and the snow after 15 April is always totally unpredictable!!

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in April?

Thanks for your advice. I think we'll play it safe and go for somewhere more snow sure. Engelberg looks really pretty. Can I ask do you think there's enough to keep intermediates challenged for a week though? We skied Courmayeur last year and loved it, but found we'd got through most of the runs before the end of the week. We'll look into St. Mortiz surrounds too. Many thanks.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in April?

Thanks for your advice - I think we'd better steer clear of Adelboden until we can visit in a proper winter month!

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in April?

Thanks for your help. Think, we'll go somewhere more snow-sure to be safe.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,829 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow in April?

Why not go to Verbier? It is a high resort and will definitely be completely open (and buzzing!) in April because the world famous Patrouille des Glaciers race is on the last weekend of April. It has 400km of pistes and plenty for intermediate skiers. Add to that the fact that the piste grooming and snow making there is really topnotch and you have a superb choice!

It is very easy to reach from Geneva airport either by train and postbus or télécabine OR by transfer with Alpine Express right to the resort.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow in April?

You might get bored in Engelberg after two or three days. I'd strongly recommend you pick a larger resort. St. Moritz area would be perfect IMO. Have skied there about a dozen times in the last twenty years and love it. Not St. Moritz itself, but the neighbouring villages ;-) Silvaplana would make a great base. Easy to reach from Zürich.

10. Re: Snow in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Adelboden