We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swiss rail pass?

Which Adelboden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
orange county
1 post
Save Topic
swiss rail pass?

My friend and I will be traveling to Switzerland from the US. We will be going to zurich, lucerne, interlaken, lausanne, geneva. We will also be going to Milan from interlaken. My question is should we buy the swiss rail pass and if so, which one, or the eurorail pass since we will be in milan 2 days? Also what about the swiss half pass? And should i buy the pass before i get to switzerland? Thanks for any help..

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swiss rail pass?

You can get informations about rail passes at www.swisstravelsystem.ch and timetables and ticket cost at www.sbb.ch

Then you should make the maths and decide yourself.

pore

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swiss rail pass?

Yes, you will have to do the math. Go to the swiss rail site and plug in all the trips you plan to take and then see their total cost. I know it is hard to determine how many cable cars, train rides, bus rides you will really do. I "guessed" a bit and came up with a basic number. For me the half fare card seemed to be a good deal. On this you save 50% off everything that moves.

Then someone suggested the Swiss Pass. It is sold in 8,15, 22 day versions. I am in Europe for 19 days with 5 of them in France (in the middle). Despite not using it those days, the 22 day pass seemed as inexpensive as a half fare card. Well, it wasn't inexpensive, but there was about a $10. difference for the two of us using the Swiss Pass or the half fare card. Had I bought the 15 day pass, I would have had some hefty fares at one end or the other so the 22 day pass made sense. As everyone says on the Forum, just do the math.

The Swiss pass gives you admission to 420 museums. It is nice to be able to walk in and check it out without thinking of the cost. It is also great to just get on a bus or train to go somewhere and not think of the cost. I used this agency to purchase my pass: http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/

You can call and they will help you decide what to do about the combination of Switzerland and Italy. For us, it was the best plan to just pay for our France transportation while there.

Budget European travel will send you your pass at no cost if it is more than 21 days before your trip. Other places charge $20 or more to do that.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swiss rail pass?

I think for you the passes from the www.swisstravelsystem.ch site will be more convenient then the eurailpass as you are (exept a small journey in Italy) only traveling in Switzerland.

pore

canada
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swiss rail pass?

Rail pass for Italy seldom worths the money and trouble. If only for just a trip to Milan from the Swiss border, you are overpaying a lot.

Swiss Pass and half-fare card can be bought on arrival at sbb office at the airport. Tell them you intentional itinerary and they will help you work out the best deal.

5. Re: swiss rail pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 01, 2010