We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's worth seeing in 6 days?

Which Adelboden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai
1 post
Save Topic
what's worth seeing in 6 days?

hi! my wife and i are spending 6 days in switz starting mon aug 15. wud like to know the absolut "must not miss" and the "travel savers". pl help. our first visit to switz.

chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

I created this travel plan for myself you are welcome to use it-

September 27th

Arrive at Geneva head out to Wengen by train.

(Overnight Wengen)

September 28th

Jungfrau vacation

(Overnight Wengen)

September 29th

Schiltorn Vacation

Schilthorn (007 revolving restaurant), Murren, and Gimmelwald all in one day. Trummelbach Falls

(Overnight Wengen)

September 30th

Lucerne trip and back (Overnight Wengen)

October 1st

Ballenberg Open Air Museum

Harder Klum

October 2nd

Golden Pass Scenic train to montreux.

château de Chillon (Overnight Montreux).

October 3rd

Montreux to Geneva Airport.

Flight back home.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

Abhilasha

We did almost the similar tour as suggested by Jay this June except that we chose Interlaken as our base instead of Wengen to travel around the region.

You may like to include a couple of lake trips on Brienz and Thun lakes. They are quite nice, giving a panaramic view of the lakeside villages, Glissbach Falls and the moutains with melting glacier water far and near.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

Just adding to what I said earlier.

We spent one full day in Lucerne and two days in Zurich as our entry and exit was Zurich. You can plan accordingly, depending on your point of entry/exit.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

I have spent several holidays of similar durations in Switzerland over the last two decades.... I would recommend you base yourself (ie. hotel) in own place and go on day visits using a rented car or trains (these are extremely reliable and reach almost everywhere together with the PTT buses).

I may recommend a base in Lausanne on the Geneva Lake and days to be spent visiting:

1/2 a day going to Geneva (even nicer if you go there by boat from Lausanne)

1 day to Zermatt and visiting the Matterhorn

1 day at Interlaken and visiting neighboring Grindelwald and the Jungfrau (you can stop on your way in Bern for a 2 hour stroll in the old town)

1 day visiting Gstaad and Les Diablerets (you can visit on your way back Montreux)

If you care about shopping then of course dedicate a day for Zurich and its famous bahnhoff strasse

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

In Switzerland it's worth seeing the country. Not the big resorts but places like Adelboden. Walk around, catch a local bus, shop locally, eat in the local cafe, watch the rivers and streams, above all walk up to a waterfall and enjoy the silence and the huge areas of peace.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

Arrive in Geneva.

Day 1) Take the train to Vevey or Montreux on Lake Geneva. Take cogwheel train up the mountain behind Montreux. Wonderful views. Visit the alpine garden. Then travel to one the nearby pretty 'wine villages'. Walk through the vineyards and sample the excellent local wines. Overnight in Vevey or Montreux.

Day 2) Take a paddle steamer on Lake Geneva, stopping off as you like, and perhaps with lunch on the paddle steamer. Be sure to visit the Castle of Chillon (a must see), right on Lake Geneva. Overnight in Vevey or Montreux.

Day 3) In the morning, take the Goldenpass Panoramic train from Montreux to Interlaken, continuing on to Muerren by train and cogwheel train. Muerren is a most charming village with no motorcars and with spectacular views. Take the cable car up the Schilthorn mountain, following in James Bond's footsteps. Overnight in Muerren.

Day 4) Spend the morning in Muerren. Travel to Lucerne on the Panoramic train over the Brunig pass. There is lots to see and do in Lucerne and the nearby lake and mountains. There is summer skiing in nearby Engelberg. Overnight in Lucerne.

Day 5) Spend the morning in Lucerne. Perhaps lunch on Lake Lucerne, then a short train ride to Bern, a beautiful medieval city. Overnight in Bern.

Day 6) Morning in Bern. The new Paul Klee museum is worth visiting. Travel to Zurich airport, but first stop off in Zurich, a lovely city with charming cobbled streets and shops. Leave your luggage at the station and walk along the river and see the churches, one of which has super stain glass windows by Chagall.

Switzerland is a gorgeous country and you can't see it all in six days. Other favourite places and train rides left out include the Italian part of Switzerland and the Engadine in the east, and the famous Glacier Express train ride from Zermatt to St Moritz, which would take an entire day..

7. Re: what's worth seeing in 6 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Adelboden