We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

Which Villars-sur-Ollon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

Does anybody know anywhere where it's possible to hire a snowmobile (scooter des neiges in French) in Villars?

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

I don't know for Villars specifically, but generally snowmobiles are highly restricted in Switzerland. Thankfully, you can't just roam the mountains on them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

Thanks JT14,

I just want a quick way to get over the col de la croix road in the winter to les diablerets, to ski the glacier, so as to not have to ski over (2 hours), or drive down into the valley and back up again (1 1/2 hours).

I might ask the tourist office.

Agreed, most of the backcountry in Villars is a nature reserve, which is a blessing, and keeps it beautiful and peaceful.

Thanks,

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

Not going to happen IMO. Permits are issued for specific needs but those are for restaurants that need to transport food etc, not for recreational use. Think it is federal law and the Canton discretion is tightly exercised. For that reason, you won't find a tourist rental market. But even if you owned one, you would be restricted to use it for a specific need. Going skiing wouldn't be one of them!

Edited: 8:00 am, January 21, 2013
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

You can hardly be serious about such a question. Or at least do not expect to be welcome with such an idea!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

@ Maja S,

I was serious. I only wanted to go along a road (which in summer has cars and buses going along it). So I don't think that my question was particularly controversial at all.

If you go to Villars there are lots of snowmobiles parked just above Rochegrise where the road / cross country track begins. That is why I asked.

Anyway, I understand the restrictions now. So it's no problem!

JT14 thank you again for your informative response.

Happy skiing!

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

In Italy it would be allowed... so it's an understandable question. And France bans heliskiing and Switzerland allows it.... But there are terrible accidents in Italy so we should probably be glad of the rules. Likewise - enjoy the great snow.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,172 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

The snowmobiles you see parked are owned by mountain restaurants who ned them to bring in supplies and personnel. You cannot, as you have discovered, hire a snow,Obie. You can however hire a "quad bike" which are also infernal things, but need to go on a somewhat cleared road. Most likely wont work for you.

Please excuse Maja's post. She is not very tactful at the best of times and needs to learn not to be so blunt. However the sentiment she expressed is shared by. It if us here!

8. Re: Snowmobile hire Villars sur Ollon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, July 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Villars-sur-Ollon