We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new to Verbier

Beijing, China
12 posts
Save Topic
new to Verbier

We book a studio in Bruson. Rent a car. So, as new to Verbier, want to know some details... I and my wife both are skiers, not a tourists, will spent all days on the snow as much as possible. But, our level only for 70% piste vs 30% off-piste. Our date is from Jan 10 to Jan 16.

1. if we drive our car go to Le Châble, before 8:00AM or 8:15AM, it's possible to get a free parking space, right ?The gondola will open at 8:40AM, right? And, if we have one-day ski pass, the gondola will free for us, right? If free for PostBus ?

2. How about the road condition from Bruson to Le Plan to D1506 to Chamonix to Moûtiers, our next stop for skiing is 3 valleys. On google map, it's shortest way, but Le Plan is on white color. We just want to visit the downtown of Chamonix for 2 hours maybe, because we like climb and mountaineering, :)

Truly appreciate any advices.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new to Verbier

Your questions:

- yes, Le Chable car park is free

- the gondola to Verbier opens at 7.00. 8.40 is the time it 'opens to skiers' but that's because it's when it continues onwards to Ruinettes (2100m). Until 8.40, you have to disembark at Verbier - but you can use it for that.

- good question about the Postbus. I think the answer is no. It is explicitly included in the season pass, but I don't think it is included the regular ski pass. But designated ski buses (which are run by Postbus) are included, free for everyone. I believe you will have to pay for non-ski bus Postbuses - but you will find out when you are there. There can be lot of confusion about what is included in what on the Le Chable-Verbier sector.

- one-day ski pass is more expensive than multi-day (on a per day basis). So think carefully about buying one-day passes

- the Col des Montets/Forclaz passes to Chamonix are generally clear of snow in January but can close after a major storm. It is driveable from Bruson to Chamonix in just over 1 hour. It's a long time since I have driven onwards to Moutier (and that's another country's forum).

Have a great trip.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,200 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new to Verbier

There is a new télécabine that runs from Bruson to le Châble where you connect to the one to Verbier. It would be tons easier to take that if you are staying up at Bruson anyway... and parking at Bruson will be easier to get than at le Châble. (BTW there is no rule about arriving before any hour. The parking at le Châble is open 24hrs BUT it is a question of space...) The only thing I am not sure of is the date that the Bruson télécabine will start to operate. I think it is 21 December though...

Ski pass does not include the post bus from le Châble to Verbier. It only includes the buses IN Verbier (which are free anyway whether you have a pass or not!) and the télécabine le Châble to Médran.

Col des Montets - the second pass on the way to Chamonix - closes quite frequently in winter. There is serious avalanche danger on the Argentière side of the pass. Right now the deviation via the tunnel is not in use since there is work in the tunnel so if the pass is closed your only option is to drive the long way around - via Villeneuve and Evian to Annemasse and then to either Chamonix or the Trois Vallées. Chamonix would be quite a detour. And when you leave Chamonix for the Trois Vallées you have two choices - autoroute all the way OR local road from St Gervais via Albertville. This latter is pretty but horrid in winter and takes about 30mins longer than just sticking to the autoroute.

I don't know where you are renting your car. If at GVA airport French side make sure it is completely winter-equipped with snow tyres, chains etc. Then you will need a vignette to get to Bruson if you take the Swiss autoroutes. If on the Swiss side it will be winter equipped and will have a vignette. I just hope you have experience of driving in snow...

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new to Verbier

I haven't seen the exact layout for the Bruson telecabine but it's not obvious that it will be the easiest way to get down to the valley especially depending on where you are staying in Bruson. I think it arrives slightly above the existing telesieges (so that 'arriving skiers' and ski down to the connecting chairs). Correspondingly, it might be a climb if you park to go down. I will check it out when it opens and report.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,200 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new to Verbier

I haven't seen it either and will be glad to get a report... I have seen (Saturday last) the arrival area at le Châble. That is easy!

Beijing, China
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: new to Verbier

Thx a lot for JT14 and Hambagahle !!!!

We have EPIC PASS, it includes 5 days in Verbier. We have to use EPIC PASS to get 5 one-day passes, and it's a benefit for EPIC pass holder and free.

How to know about the condition of Col des Montets before we leave Bruson ? Is there a website?

We rent the car in Zurich Airport from SIXT, and I have chosen to include winter tyres and snow chains.

We stay at chemin de la Crètadzera 48, Bruson. And I also notice the news about the new gondola. Hope it will open in time and free for the one-day ski pass of Verbier, haha.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new to Verbier

Pass opening is shown here.

www.chamonix.com/etat-des-routes,10,fr.html

The epic pass offers a Verbier ski pass which includes Bruson and Savoleyeres/Tzoumaz sectors. However, it doesn't include Mont Fort and the rest of the 4 valleys. When you pick up your pass ask if you can upgrade if you think those areas are relevant for you.

Beijing, China
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new to Verbier

Thank you again !!!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,200 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new to Verbier

You can also take the pass without Mt Fort (cheaper) and then IF there is a day you want to ski Mt Fort you simply pay for the extension of the pass before getting on the téléphérique that goes up to the Gentianes (the Jumbo) at la Chaux...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,200 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new to Verbier

I was in le Châble today and asked about the new telecabine - it won't help you at all, sadly! It goes to le Côt which is much higher up than the village of Bruson and there is nothing - nothing at all - up where it ends. It is, as JT14 suggested, designed for skiers.

However my friend in le Châble told me that there is a shuttle bus between Bruson and the télécabine station in le Châble. Very easy to take that down.

Beijing, China
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: new to Verbier

nice, nice, nice !!!! :)