We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Aigle to Verbier?

Which Verbier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
knoxville
12 posts
Save Topic
Train from Aigle to Verbier?

A friend and I are going to be staying in Leysin, CH which is near Aigle and were wondering if it is feasible to take a train into Verbier and ski for the day then return to Aigle/Leysin that evening? Thanks for your help,

Daniel

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Aigle to Verbier?

Hi daniel k,

No, I don't think that's a terrific idea.

It will take about 2h to get from Leysin to Verbier (change in Aigle, Martigny, and Le Chable). Then you have to find a shop to rent skis and boots from, get fitted with skis and boots, buy lift tickets (may be a line of folks buying lift tickets), and then get to the lifts. So, you would have to depart Leysin around 06.00 to get to the slopes by 09.00.

Are you experienced skiers? If not, this is really not something you want to do in a rush and on the fly. As beginners, you will want to make sure you are relaxed and prepared for the slopes.

If you are experienced skiers and will have your skis and boots with you, then I guess it would be possible -- but that's still a 2h trip. I think I'd try to find something closer.

Have fun as you plan!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Aigle to Verbier?

It is all about travel time.

Agree that it's a long journey by train (shorter by car, which makes transporting skis and boots if you already have them in Leysin easier).

The queues for tickets aren't that big - except on the busiest days.

If you really want to do the journey (www.sbb.ch for times), I can advise on the detailed logistics. The skiing is certainly more challenging for advanced skiers - fantastic really. But not a must-do for intermediate piste skiers.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,353 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Aigle to Verbier?

If you are already skiing in Leysin - which I assume you are! Then by all means do this.

Take your skis etc with you and wear your boots. Loads of people do this.

Train from Leysin to Aigle, 30 mins max depending on where you get on... Then Aigle to Martigny is 20 mins with 2 trains an hour. You will be on the slopes in Verbier within an hour after leaving Martigny, and you can buy a day ticket in Leysin that includes your train rides and lift ticket. Ask at whichever station or in Aigle...

After all, loads of people come from Geneva for the day to ski in Verbier and use the train... Why not you? You are already much closer and the skiing in Verbier is tons better than in Leysin!

4. Re: Train from Aigle to Verbier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 08, 2014