We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Weather

Boston...
Level Contributor
60 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
July Weather

Hello,

My party will be arriving in about a week. The current forecast over the next week is for highs in the low 50s, lows in the 20s, and snow. Is this typical Summer weather in the area?

Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Weather

Where are you going? It makes a huge difference because of altitude.

Next week here on the plain (altitude 471m) we are expecting sunny and warm with temps in the mid 20's in the day time, high teens at night. Summer weather. Snow certainly not below 2500m but it well might be tomorrow... it was only 15 here today which is way below what it should be in June. Next week looks tons better.

Be specific on your destination(s)!

Boston...
Level Contributor
60 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Weather

Sorry, staying in Celerina, and hiking in Pontresina, plus the Bernina Express.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Weather

OK - Celerina is high. In fact the entire Upper Engadine is high! So colder.

I just checked the MétéoSuisse forecast for you - highs next week 15-18°. Mostly sunny with some clouds. In the mountains because the air is thin, if there is sun you feel warmer than you think you will. Nonetheless the overnight lows are 2-5° and if there is any precipitation it could be snow at those temps. Wont stick though.

If you want to check the forecast nearer the date use this link: http://www.sma.ch/web/fr/meteo/previsions_en_detail/previsions_locales.html?language=fr&plz=7505+Celerina%2FSchlarigna

"Engadiner" uses a local service which is even more accurate than our national one. I don't have that link but if you PM her she will undoubtedly send it to you.

For the Bernina - it is essential that you not have low clouds on this journey. The train goes over the Bernina pass and if there are clouds around 2000m you will be IN them and wont see anything... so if you can, stay flexible on this one and fit it into a day when you know for sure there wont be any low clouds. High broken cloud is fine!

Boston...
Level Contributor
60 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Weather

Thank you very much! Hopefully we won't get low clouds!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Weather

Never check with too generalizing sites, this is a very special area with a very special weather pattern (very intersting by the way). Check www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/#weather where you see the forecast by the hour, and then go to the local forecasts for the parts you want to visit. Weather, even in a small area, can change very much from place to place. See also this thread from last week with the same topic: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1635395-i15376-k6…

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July Weather

Oh, I have just seen in your other post that you will be here only on July 8/9 - well, literally NOBODY is able to tell you the mountain weather so much in advance. I think the site you used must have be a fortune teller with a crystal ball. Don't believe anything more than two days ahead.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July Weather

Have a look now how completely wrong you weather forecast has been! There is beaufiful summer weather and everybody is just enjoying it!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July Weather

Very hot here too, Engadiner. I was in Geneva today. 27°! And 29° here in Martigny right now...

9. Re: July Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, July 26, 2017