We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

Which Pontresina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

I will be in Pontresina for three nights September 5-8 and had planned to do several hikes, enjoying the trails and scenery in fall weather. I see that a rain and snow mix is forecast for September 1 (the farthest out the forecast goes today), with temps between 34 and 47! I am looking for other options--day trips on the train? I must admit I'm a bit of a fair-weather hiker and photographer. Maybe I'll get lucky and the weather will warm up by then. Any ideas?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

How can anybody tell the weather on September 1, thus more than a week ahead, in the mountains - this is just NOT POSSIBLE - so dont believe anything you read. Weather in the mountains is not regular and several changes often occur in just hours or one day. So just look forward to your holidays, it's a beautiful time of year to visit and for hiking and taking photos. In autumn, there is often a cover of humid air in the early morning, providing perfect photos at the moment they clear up and the mountains and the blue sky appear. Try to get this impressive pictures. During day-time it is usually clear and nice and in the Upper Engadin, mainly the lake plateau, at high noon a strong wind - called the Maloja wind, a weather phenomenon - is building up. This goes as far as after Zuoz, where a natural mountain barrier is stoping it. This wind is highly appreciated by the sailing and windsurfing community. Try to get the powerful pictures of the colorful sufers on the lake.

If it should really be nasty weather or even snowing - this is possible any months of the year in this altitude - visit a museum or do one of the train excursions.

The official tourist organization pays for a special weather forecast for the Engadin St. Moritz area, as weather here is really special and can not be compared to the one on the other side of the alps. So please look only at this weather forecast from now on. As even within a small area, weather can be very different, have a look at the different locations on the site and decide upon this what to do for the day. You find this here: www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/#weather

Ideas for excursions are here: …stmoritz.ch/sommer/…

And make sure you book a hotel participating in the Mountain Cable Cars included special and go visit the mountains, details are here …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

Thank you for the reassurance. You're right; no need to borrow trouble, right? Whatever the weather, It will be grand!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

Great weather forecast page! Congratuations!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

Well, the forcasted thunderstorms today have still not arrived - the very long and hard mountain bike marathon around the national park could be enjoyed with sunshine instead - last year there was a surprise blizzard and most participants had to interrupt and recover in gymnastic halls of village schools while village people brought them hot tea and soup to warm again. Mountain weather IS hard to predict. But anyway, forecast for next week is good. And then, WillaTravel, photos with clouds can be much more dramatic than with good weather - you will enjoy it anyway, and there is so much to do and see and take pictures!

5. Re: Rain and snow forecast--hiking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, April 22, 2015