We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

Hello,

When I go on the Rhb site to make a reservation for Bernina Express, it does not look like the train stops in Pontresina? Is that the case for June 2017 when we would possibly be traveling (I could only schedule up to May 2017). We do not have to stay in Pontresina, but would like to stay in a mountain town along the route between Zurich and Tirano for some easy short walks and hikes with kids, that ideally is along the Bernina Express train. My husband wants the large windows on the BE train versus the regular windows on the local trains. I thought the hike to the Morteratsch Glacier looked interesting and would offer more restaurant choices for my son with food allergies (nuts, gluten, sesame)

Thank you for your help!

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,683 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

Bernina Express runs from St Moritz to Tirano via Pontresina. The actual "Bernina line" is St Moritz to Tirano... The morning BEX leaves St Moritz at 0930. If you are leaving from Chur you can connect to this on a train that leaves Chur at 0658 and arrives in St Moritz at 0858. See www.rhb.ch for details.

Some of the local trains on the Rhätischebahn have panoramic windows. And in 1st class those new trains also have a commentary (at least I have experienced this from Tirano to St Moritz)

You could also get the Glacier Express (which has a far better commentary than the Bernina Express) from Chur to Samedan and then connect to Pontresina. Spend a few nights there and then continue via the BEX to Tirano.

To get the departure time of the GEX from Chur see www.sbb.ch/en or the rhätischebahn site I gave above.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

The Bernina Express that leaves Chur at 08.32 does not stop at Pontresina. You will need to take a normal train and change in Samedan to do this.

You cannot board the Glacier Express in Chur to travel to St Moritz.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

All Bernina Expresses stop in Pontresina, but some do so only to pick up passengers, so you can theoretically not use these to travel to Pontresina. See the printed timetable for this route:

fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/…950.pdf

If you are unfamiliar with the symbols used in timetables see this:

fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/…A4rung.pdf

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you could still take these, as there is no way that they can force you to stay on the train there...

However, to get from Chur to st. Moritz (or any other nearby place) you can as well take a regular trains. By this summer the new Alvra trains should be running all services on that line, and these trains have a very nice observation lounge at one end, with large windows that even open!

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

BEX951 from Chur to Tirano does not stop at Pontresina from 13 May 2017.

bahnbilder.de/1200/die-neuen-wagen-fuer-glie…

rhb.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/redaktion/Ueber…

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,683 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

You can in fact book the GEX Chur to St Moritz - this sector is available on their website. And when I was on the GEX in December people boarded in Chur for St M.

Also BEX site shows BEX bookable Pontresina to Tirano in late May - must be some confusion somewhere.

Edited: 6:10 am, February 25, 2017
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

The confusion is that the BEX in the direction of Tirano only stops to take up passengers, not to set down. So that is why you can't reserver Chur - Pontresina on it. But the railways can't of course prohibit you to get of the train.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,683 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

Krist - that new observation car --- is it reservable? If not I can see a scrum happening! And is the BEX going to upgrade the "delivery" of their commentary?? The GEX one, coming via headphones in many languages which you can select, is so much better. Actual text of the commentary is too.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

AFAIK one cannot reserve places in the observation lounge on the Alvra trains. I don't know what kind of "scrum" this causes. I yet have to travel on these new trains myself.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

Hi, I am very interested in the Alvra trains mentioned in this tread as we plan to take the regular trains on this route in late June. Checking the SBB timetable, we do not find any mention of the regular trains being equipped with panoramic coach. Will the new trains be in service in late June?

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Bernina Express from Chur stop at Pontresina?

The new trains are in service, but not all of them yet, so not all services are performed using the new trains.

Following trains should have the new sets:

Chur leave: 06.58, 10.58, 11.58, 12.58, 16.58, 17.58, 18.58

St. Moritz leave: 08.02, 09.02, 10.02, 14.02, 15.02, 16.02, 20.02

These are not "panoramic trains", so are not marked as such, but the observation lounge at the locomotive end will probably be popular.